Old 25-09-2004, 02:07 AM
MPost

Default Squirrels love my pear tree

I have a great pear tree in my front yard that provides some of the
greatest, sweetest pears I've ever tasted. However, the squirrels have found
this out as well and in the past few years, have gotten to all of the pears
before I have. Any ideas on how I can prevent them from stealing my harvest?
There are plenty of other trees nearby, so preventing them from climbing the
trunk of the pear tree wouldn't help.

Old 25-09-2004, 03:34 AM
paghat

In article ox35d.17431$He1.6517@attbi_s01, "MPost"
wrote:

I have a great pear tree in my front yard that provides some of the
greatest, sweetest pears I've ever tasted. However, the squirrels have found
this out as well and in the past few years, have gotten to all of the pears
before I have. Any ideas on how I can prevent them from stealing my harvest?
There are plenty of other trees nearby, so preventing them from climbing the
trunk of the pear tree wouldn't help.

Here's the skinny on protecting fruit trees from squirrel harvest:
http://www.paghat.com/squirrelcontrol.html

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 25-09-2004, 03:49 AM
escapee

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:07:32 GMT, "MPost" opined:

I have a great pear tree in my front yard that provides some of the
greatest, sweetest pears I've ever tasted. However, the squirrels have found
this out as well and in the past few years, have gotten to all of the pears
before I have. Any ideas on how I can prevent them from stealing my harvest?
There are plenty of other trees nearby, so preventing them from climbing the
trunk of the pear tree wouldn't help.

I have a peach tree. I harvested at least 10 bushels of peaches this year, and
that did not count the peaches with one bite out of it from the squirrels. If
you pear tree is producing so few fruits that a squirrel can compete with you,
maybe it's an idea to find out how to increase yields. There is no
compassionate way to keep wildlife out of the wild.

Old 25-09-2004, 04:31 AM
Sterling

Or maybe you just don't have so many squirrels. I have two dwarf peach
trees that are covered with tiny peaches every year - more yield would
put the branches on the ground! - and as they grow, my squirrels grab
them. They take one bite and throw them down, grab another, etc.

I did not get one ripe peach this year. I tried the bird netting but the
slimy little b**tards chew through and shinny up to grab another unripe
peach.

These are fat sleek squirrels - no starving guys here.

I saw plans for a "wire house" where you basically build a box of 1 x 2s
and hardware cloth - with a door! - to be able to protect the harvest
from the squirrels. Maybe I'll try that next year.

Old 25-09-2004, 04:37 AM

I just realized the pear tree I planted out at my mothers had pears, but no more and
I am sure it was the squirrels too. I am thinking about building a wire cage around
the tree. it all seemed to start with the edible pit apricot tree ... it was loaded
and then the squirrels stripped it in 24 hours and after that they went for all the
fruit. Ingrid

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:07:32 GMT, "MPost" opined:

I have a great pear tree in my front yard that provides some of the
greatest, sweetest pears I've ever tasted. However, the squirrels have found
this out as well and in the past few years, have gotten to all of the pears
before I have. Any ideas on how I can prevent them from stealing my harvest?
There are plenty of other trees nearby, so preventing them from climbing the
trunk of the pear tree wouldn't help.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 25-09-2004, 03:56 PM

aluminum conduit 10' high sections. chicken wire. those plastic ties. that is
about how simple I can get it. put concrete block at the bottom, buried stays put
and drive conduit down into holes of block.
yeah. shooting isnt a good thing, but I am getting ready to start trapping and
drowning the tree rats. I am fed up with all their damage.
I LOVE FIGS. I LOVE FIGS I LOVE FIGS I LOVE FIGS I LOVE FIGS
send me some.
Ingrid

Sterling wrote:
The plans I saw were very simple. You build in sections that can be
bolted together on the sides and top and collapsed at the end of the
season and then stacked in the basement. Like making several "screen
doors" with one that is hinged for access to your fruit. It is lot of
work and expense for getting fresh peaches.

If you find something simpler, please post it.

I'd think you would also have to put some barrier down into the ground
to prevent burrowing.

I'd rather use a .22 but my neighbors are too close.

They don't touch my fig tree. I don't like figs and I had tons of them
this year. Gave away baskets of them.

I HATE squirrels.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 25-09-2004, 04:07 PM
escapee

The wire room would work. However, dwarf trees should be giving you regular
sized fruit. The fruit is not dwarf, also. Anyway, the structure you are
thinking of is really cheap and easy to build. My tree is about 12 feet tall,
so not really all that beneficial for me to use such a method. I am going to
plant another in the front yard this year to allow neighbors who love my
peaches to come and harvest their own.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:31:29 -0400, Sterling opined:

Old 25-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Lawrence Akutagawa

hmmm...try a solution of hot pepper powder and water, sprayed onto the
ripening fruit. I understand some folks bring the mix to a boil, then cool
it down. Strain before pouring into sprayer through cheescloth or something
similar to avoid stoppages. Difficulty with this approach is that you need
to respray from time to time, especially after a rain. And, of course, you
have to rinse off the fruit before eating....but you do that anyway, don't
you?

newsx35d.17431$He1.6517@attbi_s01...

Old 25-09-2004, 05:03 PM
zxcvbob

Sterling wrote:

I'd rather use a .22 but my neighbors are too close.

If you live out in the country but your neighbors are too close, use a
shotgun with 2 3/4" shells and small shot. If you are in the city, use
an air rifle, but only when you have a clear shot and know what your
backstop will be.

Bob

Old 25-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Felice Friese

"escapee" wrote in message
The wire room would work. However, dwarf trees should be giving you
regular
sized fruit. The fruit is not dwarf, also. Anyway, the structure you are
thinking of is really cheap and easy to build. My tree is about 12 feet
tall,
so not really all that beneficial for me to use such a method. I am going
plant another in the front yard this year to allow neighbors who love my
peaches to come and harvest their own.

Is there a house next to you for sale?

Felice

Old 26-09-2004, 02:38 AM
escapee

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:51:12 GMT, "Felice Friese" opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
The wire room would work. However, dwarf trees should be giving you
regular
sized fruit. The fruit is not dwarf, also. Anyway, the structure you are
thinking of is really cheap and easy to build. My tree is about 12 feet
tall,
so not really all that beneficial for me to use such a method. I am going
plant another in the front yard this year to allow neighbors who love my
peaches to come and harvest their own.

Is there a house next to you for sale?

Felice

Actually, they just sold one two doors down. I wanted my mom to buy it, but she
is not ready to leave New York and all its illustrious smells.

Old 27-09-2004, 04:27 AM
Sterling

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
hmmm...try a solution of hot pepper powder and water, sprayed onto the
ripening fruit. I understand some folks bring the mix to a boil, then cool
it down. Strain before pouring into sprayer through cheescloth or something
similar to avoid stoppages. Difficulty with this approach is that you need
to respray from time to time, especially after a rain. And, of course, you
have to rinse off the fruit before eating....but you do that anyway, don't
you?

gotta laugh about this. Before I got such good baffles for my bird
feeders, I was going nuts trying to keep the squirrels out of the bird
seed. I tried the cayenne pepper suggestion: shake the hot pepper mix
over the birdseed and the squirrels won't touch it.

well, the greedy little beggars were out there eating the peppered seed
by the handful. My son remarked: Those are squirrels that followed us
from New Orleans - they are out there saying 'you give us a litte' red
wine with this here bird seed, we be havin a feast!"
Old 27-09-2004, 03:40 PM
simy1

escapee wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:07:32 GMT, "MPost" opined:

I have a peach tree. I harvested at least 10 bushels of peaches this year, and
that did not count the peaches with one bite out of it from the squirrels. If
you pear tree is producing so few fruits that a squirrel can compete with you,
maybe it's an idea to find out how to increase yields. There is no
compassionate way to keep wildlife out of the wild.

It is not so simple. My yard supports between two and three dozens
squirrels, due to the presence of about twenty hickories, several
oaks, and several walnuts. During the warm season they eat in
succession elm, ash, and maple seeds. They never touched the
raspberries, for example, though they have always taken most of the
mulberries from a weeping specimen in the frontyard.

But then all ash trees died within a year, due to the borer, and
suddenly they have a hole in their crop cycle. They have hammered the
raspberries and even tried a few tomatoes.
Old 28-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Shirley Hicks

On 27 Sep 2004 07:40:08 -0700, (simy1) wrote:

escapee wrote in message . ..
[...]

You really really need some hawks. I've just been googling squirrel
predators (the building I live in backs onto an urban conservation
area, and boy, oh boy, do we have squirrels! They scale the building
to get at my balcony tomatoes) and after checking out predators at
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Wildl...ysquirrel.html,
it becomes pretty obvious why squirrels do so well in cities: There
isn't enough continuous habitat to support hawks! So, I guess the
longterm wildlife management question is, now to get more hawks to
live in your neighbourhood?

Shirley Hicks,
Toronto, Ontairo
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor