Old 25-09-2004, 05:03 PM
escapee

Default Can someone identify this feces for me please?

http://www.animaux.net/squirrel/

This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are in the
feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders constantly and we don't
chase them out. Is this squirrel feces? Gauge the size based on the black oil
sunflower seeds.

Old 25-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Anonny Moose

"escapee" wrote in message
http://www.animaux.net/squirrel/

This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are in
the
feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders constantly and we
don't
chase them out. Is this squirrel feces? Gauge the size based on the
black oil
sunflower seeds.

I'm going to suggest this is the scat of a grouse or ptarmigan.

Karen

Old 25-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Delaney

escapee wrote:
http://www.animaux.net/squirrel/

This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are in the
feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders constantly and we don't
chase them out. Is this squirrel feces? Gauge the size based on the black oil
sunflower seeds.

those are monk turds, probably from a species known as dalai lamas. am
surprised that you did not recognize them.

Old 25-09-2004, 07:41 PM
JMagerl

looks like its got quite a high roughage content. Deer eating out of the
feeder?
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl/deer.jpg

Old 25-09-2004, 09:46 PM
escapee

No, definitely not deer. I don't know that I have grouse, either. The search
goes on.

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:41:12 -0500, "JMagerl" opined:

looks like its got quite a high roughage content. Deer eating out of the
feeder?
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl/deer.jpg

.. .

Old 25-09-2004, 10:02 PM
escapee

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:26:10 -0700, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.animaux.net/squirrel/

This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are in
the
feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders constantly and we
don't
chase them out. Is this squirrel feces? Gauge the size based on the
black oil
sunflower seeds.

I'm going to suggest this is the scat of a grouse or ptarmigan.

Karen

i know it's neither of those

Old 26-09-2004, 01:03 AM
Frank Logullo

"escapee" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:41:12 -0500, "JMagerl"

opined:

looks like its got quite a high roughage content. Deer eating out of the
feeder?
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl/deer.jpg

nope, is not deer.

http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsh..._droppings.gif
?

There's also a Kerry joke whose punch line is : How can I trust you if you
don't know shit?
Frank

Old 26-09-2004, 03:37 AM
escapee

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:03:37 GMT, "Frank Logullo"
opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:41:12 -0500, "JMagerl"

opined:

looks like its got quite a high roughage content. Deer eating out of the
feeder?
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl/deer.jpg

nope, is not deer.

http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsh..._droppings.gif
?

There's also a Kerry joke whose punch line is : How can I trust you if you
don't know shit?
Frank

Nice to see the group is still as mature as ever.

Old 26-09-2004, 04:30 AM
x-archive:no

x-archive:no

Look like owls droppings...

Old 27-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Forgive him, he works from home and is PW ed!

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:37:11 GMT, escapee
wrote:

Nice to see the group is still as mature as ever.

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 27-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Lar

wrote:

http://www.animaux.net/squirrel/

This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are in the
feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders constantly and we don't
chase them out. Is this squirrel feces? Gauge the size based on the black oil
sunflower seeds.

If possible post a pic that isn't a close up...kangaroo rat droppings
are described as extremely dry. All the rodent droppings I come
across, even squirrels, are usually black, but I haven't been able to
locate a pic of a kangaroo rat...... You might take some flour and at
sundown sift it around the ground and you might get some foot prints
that can aid in identification of what it is.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

While looking in the mirror a bit ago,
I noticed that I look more like myself
now than I did a while back.

Old 29-09-2004, 04:27 AM
Salty Thumb

escapee wrote in
:

http://www.animaux.net/squirrel/

This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are
in the feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders
constantly and we don't chase them out. Is this squirrel feces?
Gauge the size based on the black oil sunflower seeds.

I would have guessed snake, but maybe squirrel, possum or raccoon.
Assuming you have to climb or fly to get to the feeder, I don't think
it's a bird because I don't think birds (having cloacae instead of
intestines) can excrete the fibrous portions of the shell (must
regurgitate if ingested ... probably didn't ingest). If they could I
would expect it to be watery. If it were a larger bird using gizard
stones to masticate the shells, I would expect the fibers to be less
intact.

Kind of odd to be right under the feeder. Looking the the bottom
pictures, unless it rained or something the suspect seems to just be
hanging out at the feeder, seeds go in crap comes out. Or maybe some
unreleated creature saw the pile of shells and decided it was a good
place to take a dump?

How to identify crap: http://memorias.ioc.fiocruz.br/98sup/30p.pdf
Old 29-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Anonny Moose

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
escapee wrote in
:

http://www.animaux.net/squirrel/

This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are
in the feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders
constantly and we don't chase them out. Is this squirrel feces?
Gauge the size based on the black oil sunflower seeds.

I would have guessed snake, but maybe squirrel, possum or raccoon.
Assuming you have to climb or fly to get to the feeder, I don't think
it's a bird because I don't think birds (having cloacae instead of
intestines) can excrete the fibrous portions of the shell (must
regurgitate if ingested ... probably didn't ingest). If they could I
would expect it to be watery. If it were a larger bird using gizard
stones to masticate the shells, I would expect the fibers to be less
intact.

You are mistaken about bird digestive physiology. Birds do have intestines.
The cloaca is a multi-purpose structure at the end of the intestinal tract.
Anyway, the ground dwelling birds of the family Phasianidae eat a fibrous
diet including seeds and nuts, and their droppings look very much like those
in the photos. The Phasianidae family includes grouse, ptarmigan, bobwhite,
quail, chukar, partridge, pheasant and wild turkey.
Check these photos of grouse and ptarmigan scat....
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/scat.htm
Another photo of grouse scat ...
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/wil...cat.htm#grouse

Squirrel and rabbit droppings are rounder and more pellet-like.

Old 29-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Salty Thumb

"Anonny Moose" wrote in
:

[...]

okay ... all I remembered was (some) birds have a cloaca and crap like
seagulls. (I assumed most of the flying ones would.)

Phasianidae eat a fibrous diet including seeds and nuts, and their
droppings look very much like those in the photos. The Phasianidae
family includes grouse, ptarmigan, bobwhite, quail, chukar, partridge,
pheasant and wild turkey. Check these photos of grouse and ptarmigan
scat.... http://waynesword.palomar.edu/scat.htm
Another photo of grouse scat ...
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/wil...cat.htm#grouse

Squirrel and rabbit droppings are rounder and more pellet-like.

who would have thought I'd be sitting here taking an interest at looking at
pictures of crap. To me the shape looks more like E, F, O or P.

At least there is no smell.