Old 29-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Dirk Puslich

Default When to trim a new Cedar Hedge??

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I had a cedar hedge planted in my backyard.
They are about 6.5 to 7 feet in height right now but are kind of
scrawny.

Over the years I want them to first bush out more, then grow higher.

I was told by a friend that when you trim the tops, it makes the new
growth come out to the sides more and not get too woody, and nce they
are bushy enough then you can let them grow higher.

I have 3 questions, assuming this is right:

1) What time of year should the tops of the cedars be lopped off
(Fall? Spring? mid Summer?) Just once per year??

2) Given that they were just planted in mid September, should I wait a
while before I take the hedge trimmers to them, so as not to stress
them too much, or is it OK to trim them now?

3) Is there a rule of thumb as to how much to lop off the top? I was
thinking about a foot off of each one for now.

- I live in Canada (Toronto) where we get some cold winters if that
makes a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 29-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Howie Feltersnatch

"Dirk Puslich" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

- I live in Canada (Toronto) where we get some cold winters if that
makes a difference.

If you live in Canada it means you're a moron to begin with. Don't even try
to grow anything. You're too stoooopid.

Old 29-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Crash Streete Kidde

Howie Feltersnatch wrote:
"Dirk Puslich" wrote in message
om...

Hello,

- I live in Canada (Toronto) where we get some cold winters if that
makes a difference.

If you live in Canada it means you're a moron to begin with. Don't even try
to grow anything. You're too stoooopid.

Canada? Isn't that the country that is erecting a monument to the
American draft dodgers? I always heard there was nothing in Canada
except Eskimos, queers and draft dodgers.

Old 30-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Greg Miller

I planted some cedars a few weeks ago (I'm also in Toronto). I think
it's best to wait until they're dormant to trim them (in a few weeks).