GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing daylilies from seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/84360-growing-daylilies-seed.html)

Rodney Clough 30-09-2004 02:17 AM

Growing daylilies from seed

I pulled a bunch of seeds off my daylilies (Stella D'Oro), and I'd like to
grow them if possible. Do I need to start them inside? Or can I just throw
them in the ground? If I can throw them in the ground, should I wait for
spring or do it now? If it matters, I live in between Richmond, Virginia
and Washington DC.

Thanks for your help!
Rod

Frogleg 01-10-2004 12:41 PM

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:17:59 GMT, "Rodney Clough"
wrote:

I pulled a bunch of seeds off my daylilies (Stella D'Oro), and I'd like to
grow them if possible. Do I need to start them inside? Or can I just throw
them in the ground? If I can throw them in the ground, should I wait for
spring or do it now? If it matters, I live in between Richmond, Virginia
and Washington DC.

Googling on "daylilies from seed" brought up this:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~punchypunch/seeds.htm

It's fun to grow them from seed. I don't remember what season I
planted mine (outdoors, about 100mi south of you), but it's cool to
have plants from seed. They took a while to bloom, but I really wasn't
paying much attention to them.