GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   C. Myrtle showing signs of Fall already (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/84478-c-myrtle-showing-signs-fall-already.html)

Wishy13764 03-10-2004 12:29 AM

C. Myrtle showing signs of Fall already

I have a couple of them in containers here in NYC. I noticed that some of the
leaves are starting to change to their Fall colors. Isn't it too soon? The
lowest temp we had here so far has been 56 degrees. Today near 70. Is it
because they are in containers? My large one in the ground has not changed
colors yet. Usually it starts late October. Should I bring those containers
indoors now?

fran 03-10-2004 01:21 AM

I'm in NC, and some are starting to change color and some are still
green. My big maple is starting to show color. It's not the daytime
temps that trigger color change so much as daylight length and
nighttime temps.