Old 09-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Shell

Default Qestions for Stapelia Growers

I recently bought several Stapeliads. I live on the border of zone 8 and
zone 9. Should I bring them in for the winter or can I leave them outside
in a sheltered area? I have a very tiny portable greenhouse, more like a
greenshelf really, would this be good to keep them in over the winter?

I jnow these plants have some pretty stinky flowers but just how bad are
they really? Bad enough to draw tremendous swarms of flies and knock you
out at 10 feet or mild as in you have to put your nose right into the flower
to smell it?

Any help or advice on these plants is appreciated

Thanks
Shell
(Houston zone 8 or 9-ish)

---

Old 09-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Cereus-validus

Even though you don't elaborate which species you actually have, you should
consider Stapeliads as being tender succulents that must be brought indoors
for the winter.

The should be overwintered in a greenhouse but they are very much
susceptible to rot if they are kept too wet during their winter resting
season.

Contrary to the popular myth, not all Stapeliads have stinky flowers.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/index.html

m...

Old 11-10-2004, 06:54 PM
J. Del Col

" I jnow these plants have some pretty stinky flowers but just how
bad are
they really? Bad enough to draw tremendous swarms of flies and knock you
out at 10 feet or mild as in you have to put your nose right into the flower
to smell it?

It depends on the species and the size of the plant. I used to
frequent a large greenhouse which had a huge specimen of -Stapelia
grandiflora- in a hanging basket.

When it was in full bloom, the flowers filled the place with the
stench of ripe roadkill. It was awesome.

J. Del Col

[IMG] code is On

Stapelia gigantica Wendy7 Garden Photos 3 17-10-2007 04:12 PM
Stapelia gigantica - closer Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 11-10-2007 04:21 AM
Stapelia tips shriveling Jim Shaffer Gardening 6 24-02-2007 10:41 PM
Newbie qestions David Starr Ponds 15 13-03-2006 03:16 PM
Help identify Stapelia (Orbea) Richard Gardening 2 04-10-2005 05:04 AM