GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bread and Compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/84815-bread-compost.html)

Jim Carr 10-10-2004 10:08 AM

Bread and Compost

I like to have a fresh loaf of bread every week, but I don't always finish
it. My girlfiriend *hates* to throw out the old bread, but we will never eat
it.

Can I put it in the compost bin along with all the veggie and fruit waste?
Okay, I know I can, but will it make decent compost?

Many thanks!

Pat Kiewicz 10-10-2004 10:50 AM

Jim Carr said:

I like to have a fresh loaf of bread every week, but I don't always finish
it. My girlfiriend *hates* to throw out the old bread, but we will never eat
it.

Can I put it in the compost bin along with all the veggie and fruit waste?
Okay, I know I can, but will it make decent compost?

It's just another ingredient. Won't make the compost any less decent than
it is already. Won't make it any more decent, either. Just rots with all the
rest of the stuff.

I keep my bread in the freezer (bread from a local baker, with no preservatives).
I know it's best fresh, but we don't come anywhere near eating it all before it
would spoil and I hate to see it go to waste. I just haw it out a couple of slices at
a time in the microwave. Not quite as good as before freezing but much better
than grocery store 'brand name' breads.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Phisherman 10-10-2004 06:14 PM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:08:00 -0700, "Jim Carr"
wrote:

I like to have a fresh loaf of bread every week, but I don't always finish
it. My girlfiriend *hates* to throw out the old bread, but we will never eat
it.

Can I put it in the compost bin along with all the veggie and fruit waste?
Okay, I know I can, but will it make decent compost?

Many thanks!

Yes and Yes. I'd rather use the bread to feed the birds.