GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   clematis and alkaline soil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/84923-clematis-alkaline-soil.html)

anton jopko 12-10-2004 11:31 PM

clematis and alkaline soil

Dear Group,
On a gardening show the host said clematis likes alkaline soil so he threw
in a handful of crushed dolomite with the soil before planting.
However a box of fertilizer we bought especially made for clematis contains
sulfur which is normally used to make the soil acidic.
Do you have any ideas whether clematis likes alkaline or acidic soil?
Thanks for your comments
anton

Doug Kanter 13-10-2004 06:33 AM

I don't know, but at my previous house, the pH hovered between 5 and 6
around the clematis, and the plant kept trying to eat the entire garage. I
get the feeling there's a "happy range", not a precise need.

Phisherman 13-10-2004 11:37 AM

My clematis (I have three varieties) are growing exceptionally well in
acidic soil. I used compost mixed in with the soil when I planted
them 4 years ago, and I topdress with compost every year.