Old 14-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Max Caviar

Default "Pinching" buds to promote further growth

How precisely, is this done? I keep reading about this, but not sure
I understand what is being suggested. Are you to just pinch new buds
once, multiple times, ...? How hard are you to pinch these things
anyway? Enough to slightly crush them, or less?

Old 14-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Carolyn LeCrone

"Max Caviar" wrote in message
om...
How precisely, is this done? I keep reading about this, but not sure
I understand what is being suggested. Are you to just pinch new buds
once, multiple times, ...? How hard are you to pinch these things
anyway? Enough to slightly crush them, or less?

In case you weren't being a jokester, "pinch" means to remove. So you
remove buds from chrysanthemums early in the season so that the plant bushes
out and blooms later. Usually you remove each bud with you fingers so that
you don't just shear the plant and ruin its shape.

Old 14-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Doug Kanter

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in message

"Max Caviar" wrote in message
om...
How precisely, is this done? I keep reading about this, but not sure
I understand what is being suggested. Are you to just pinch new buds
once, multiple times, ...? How hard are you to pinch these things
anyway? Enough to slightly crush them, or less?

In case you weren't being a jokester, "pinch" means to remove. So you
remove buds from chrysanthemums early in the season so that the plant

bushes
out and blooms later. Usually you remove each bud with you fingers so

that
you don't just shear the plant and ruin its shape.

Now that we've gotten this far:

You pinch so there's maybe 1/8 to 1/4" of stem above the next lower set of
leaves. Or, if the plant needs more of a trim, go lower, but don't leave a
long piece of stem. Most plants won't grow new leaves from the stub. Don't
remove too many leaves at once from plants that are stressed for some
reason, such as lack of water, physical damage, etc.

For plants whose growth is brittle and you're afraid to stick your hand
among the stems, pick up a pair of florist's scissors. They have very short
cutting blades made for small places. Keep the scissors closed as you insert
them into the growth, and open them when you're near the stem you want to
cut. If you can't find these scissors in stores, get a pair of Joyce Chen
kitchen scissors at a supermarket, Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things - that
sort of place. They work fine and because they're made to cut through
chicken bones, they'll handle tough branches, too.

Old 15-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
(Beecrofter) wrote:

(Max Caviar) wrote in message
. com...
How precisely, is this done? I keep reading about this, but not sure
I understand what is being suggested. Are you to just pinch new buds
once, multiple times, ...? How hard are you to pinch these things
anyway? Enough to slightly crush them, or less?

Well you gotta start somewhere.
The term "Green Thumb" comes from pinching buds and foliage between
thumbnail and forefinger to remove them.
What you do are doing is breaking apical dominance, a mouthfull that
means the bud you remove was keeping the buds below it from fully
developing. That's why pinching back makes the plant fuller, those
lower buds wake up and grow.
If you have hoochie nails or some reason not to have sap stained
fingers use shears.

There is a technique some refer to as "pinching" which does not involve
removing buds or growing tips. It is done during vegetative growth to
promote shorter internodes and beefier stems in order to support larger
flower mass at maturity. The internodes nearest apical meristems are
squeezed between thumb and forefinger enough to mildly crush and bruise
them, but not so hard as to cause the growing tip to die. Another
method of beefing up stems during vegetative growth is to twist the
internodes such that the phloem is sheared away from the xylem, and the
plants respond by reducing internodal length and fattening the
traumatized stems. These techniques are predominately used by cannabis
culturists, but are also used for increasing yields from some fruit
trees and presumably can be used on many species for various purposes.

Do a google search on "supercropping" and you will find plenty of
variations on the techniques of "pinching".
Old 16-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:46:49 -0400, "Carolyn LeCrone"
wrote:

"Max Caviar" wrote i

How precisely, is this done? I keep reading about this, but not sure
I understand what is being suggested. Are you to just pinch new buds
once, multiple times, ...? How hard are you to pinch these things
anyway? Enough to slightly crush them, or less?

In case you weren't being a jokester, "pinch" means to remove. So you
remove buds from chrysanthemums early in the season so that the plant bushes
out and blooms later.

Whoever first used "pinch" or "pinch back" has a lot to answer for.
Would it be clearer if it were called "tip pruning"? Still, "pinch"
implies, helpfully, that in many cases, tender new growth at the tip
of branches can be 'snipped' off with the fingernails.
Old 20-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Max Caviar

Actually I wasn't kidding with you. But I understand where the humor
lies. Is this done for all plants? Herbs, flowers, et cet.?

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in message ...
om...

Old 20-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Doug Kanter

Some, but not all. You have to sit quietly and look at the particular
plant's growth habit. It's good to use an example that's BIG and EASY to
understand: Corn. New growth comes from whorls in the center. You wouldn't
"pinch" corn.

Become a fixture at your public library. If you're not falling asleep with a
plant book on your lap at least two nights a week, you're not worthy of
plant nirvana yet. :-) You should have at least $20 in overdue book fees
each month.

"Max Caviar" wrote in message
om...
Actually I wasn't kidding with you. But I understand where the humor
lies. Is this done for all plants? Herbs, flowers, et cet.?

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in message

om...

Old 08-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Max Caviar

interesting stuff, thank you people

been employing some of the info in my own garden and it seems to be
working fine, guess i'll really be able to tell in spring (hurry up
already!)

(Max Caviar) wrote in message . com...
How precisely, is this done? I keep reading about this, but not sure
I understand what is being suggested. Are you to just pinch new buds
once, multiple times, ...? How hard are you to pinch these things
anyway? Enough to slightly crush them, or less?

[IMG] code is On

Rhododendrons: how promote growth? Eddy United Kingdom 35 31-01-2010 11:16 PM
how to promote root growth from clippings LEPS-L Plant Science 2 11-05-2008 04:58 AM
Pinching Out Side Buds Shiva Roses 0 28-04-2003 07:08 PM
How do I promote tree fungus? will Gardening 3 08-03-2003 04:56 AM
OT To promote peace (I know that God is on the American side but....) Walter P. Schlomer Ponds 0 01-02-2003 03:43 PM