GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery shrub (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85011-mystery-shrub.html)

Anonny Moose 15-10-2004 01:18 AM

Mystery shrub

I live in an area of nursery growers. They haul huge loads of bushes and
trees and occasionally something will fall off the truck for some passerby
to claim. Today I was the lucky one and came across a shrub of some sort
that has square stems. Anyone know of any shrubs with square stems that grow
in a climate like that of the Portland, OR area? If given a few names I can
do the research to id this thing... or perhaps there is a key online someone
can suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Karen

Pam - gardengal 15-10-2004 02:58 AM

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message
I live in an area of nursery growers. They haul huge loads of bushes and
trees and occasionally something will fall off the truck for some passerby
to claim. Today I was the lucky one and came across a shrub of some sort
that has square stems. Anyone know of any shrubs with square stems that

grow
in a climate like that of the Portland, OR area? If given a few names I

can
do the research to id this thing... or perhaps there is a key online

someone
can suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Karen

Square stems are a characteristic of the mint family, Lamiaceae. This is a
huge family and includes things like lavender, salvias (sages), rosemary,
oregano, coleus, etc. Shrubby members are most likely to be salvia or
rosemary or Teucrium (germander).

pam - gardengal

Marley1372 15-10-2004 03:52 AM

Usually plants in the mint family have square stems, though they are usually
herbaceous perennials. boxwood is another plant with square stems, but its
pretty easily recognized. Burning bush has corky protrusions on the stems that
could make it look sort of square... can you post a picture?

Toad

Anonny Moose 15-10-2004 10:01 PM

"Marley1372" wrote in message
Usually plants in the mint family have square stems, though they are
usually
herbaceous perennials. boxwood is another plant with square stems, but
its
pretty easily recognized. Burning bush has corky protrusions on the stems
that
could make it look sort of square... can you post a picture?

Toad

Good idea! Here are links to three pictures of the plant. Note that there is
still a lot of dirt on it from transport.

Any ideas?

http://users.easystreet.com/markie/images/mystery1.jpg

http://users.easystreet.com/markie/images/mystery2.jpg

http://users.easystreet.com/markie/images/mystery4.jpg

Karen

Marley1372 16-10-2004 06:23 AM

Damn Im good! It sure is a burnng bush :) Take that sPam!

Toad

Pam - gardengal 16-10-2004 02:22 PM

"Marley1372" wrote in message
Damn Im good! It sure is a burnng bush :) Take that sPam!

Toad

You're dead on, Toad!! Just never think of the stems of BB as square, but
with the wings, I guess they are.

Karen, you still can look forward to some good fall color on the little guy.
Ones planted in the landscape around here have already turned red and
"burned" and dropped most of their foliage but most nursery plants are still
pretty green. Give it some bright sun.

pam - gardengal