Old 16-10-2004, 04:15 AM
Toonartist

Default What to do with tons of sweet green peppers

Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

--
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Old 16-10-2004, 04:26 AM
Craig Watts

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Are you talking about Bell Peppers? Bell Peppers freeze quite well.
Cut the cap off, core them out and removed the seeds. Then freeze them
whole.

Great for winter stir frys and sausage dogs.
Old 16-10-2004, 04:27 AM
zxcvbob

Toonartist wrote:
Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Go over to rec.food.preserving, and ask for George.

(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched,
and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)

Best regards,
Bob
Old 16-10-2004, 04:35 AM
Craig Watts

(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched,
and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)

Dried as in dehydrate?
Old 16-10-2004, 04:41 AM
zxcvbob

Craig Watts wrote:

(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched,
and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)

Dried as in dehydrate?

Yes. And it's amazing how much the shrink.

Bob

Old 16-10-2004, 10:36 AM
EV

Toonartist wrote:

Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well. Any suggestions?

I wash them, cut them into slices, and freeze them on trays. Then I transfer
them to freezer bags. You can pack many into a small space this way. I mostly
use them in cooking.

If you also have green tomatoes, you can make a delicious green tomato and
sweet pepper relish.

EV

Thanks very much in advance.

Old 16-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Phisherman

We had peppers in stir fry yesterday (cut up peppers, onions, and
zucchini with basil and a little olive oil). If you have a
dehydrator, they can be dried for later use in numerous dishes,
including pizza. We have been giving peppers away to family and
friends and still have more!

Old 16-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Beecrofter

"Toonartist" wrote in message ...
Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Got a food bank/soup kitchen?
Old 16-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Toonartist" wrote in message
Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers.

Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Green pepper jelly - great with a little cream cheese on a cracker and an
excellent holiday gift item.

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALRecipes.asp?R=70

Only one of hundreds of recipes available through a Google search.

pam - gardengal

Old 16-10-2004, 06:01 PM
StanB

"EV" wrote in message

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers.
Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed
pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I wash them, cut them into slices, and freeze them on trays. Then I
transfer
them to freezer bags. You can pack many into a small space this way. I
mostly
use them in cooking.

Me too.

If you also have green tomatoes, you can make a delicious green tomato and
sweet pepper relish.

Care to share your recipe?

Old 16-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

You can char and de-skin them and freeze. Big PITA, but lovely to have
on hand. I use in pasta salad with shrimp.
Old 17-10-2004, 04:38 AM
EV

StanB wrote:

"EV" wrote in message
[]

If you also have green tomatoes, you can make a delicious green tomato and
sweet pepper relish.

Care to share your recipe?

I'm happy to share the recipe. This is what we use, instead of the store bought
stuff. A double batch is enough for us, and for gift giving, until the green
tomatoes roll in again.

The recipe is from a cookbook first published in 1963:
Freezing & Canning COOKBOOK
Revised Edition: Prized Recipes from the Farms of America by the Food Editors
of Farm Journal
ISBN:0-385-00487-7

GREEN TOMATO/PEPPER RELISH
Makes 12 pints according to the book, but I only ever get about 6 pints out of
the recipe.

1 gallon green tomatoes
2 medium onions
4 large (sweet) green peppers
2 large (sweet) red peppers
1/2 Cup salt
1 tsp mixed pickling spices
3 Cups vinegar
1 Cup water
2 Cups sugar

* Wash, chop and mix vegetables, peeling onions and discarding pepper seeds.
Add salt and let stand for several hours or overnight. Drain liquid and
discard.
* Tie spices in clean cheescloth; combine all ingredients and simmer for 30
minutes
* Remove bag of spices. Ladle boiling hot mixture into hot jars; adjust lids at
once.
*Process in boiling water bath (212F) 10 minutes.

NOTES:
- You can use all green peppers, if your peppers are sweet. I think the red is
just for colour.
- When I'm in a hurry, or making a double batch, I chop all the ingredients in
a food processor
- When short on time, I've frozen the vegetables, either whole or chopped, then
thawed them and made the relish as per usual. Doesn't seem to affect the taste
or texture
- The recipe is old, so I've changed the boiling water bath time to reflect
today's canning standards
------------

I haven't tried this recipe, but since it was on the facing page, and the
orginal poster had a bumper crop of peppers ... and I was typing anyway ....

PEPPER RELISH - makes 6 pints
According to the book, all pepper relishes are best served within six months
after being canned

12 sweet green peppers
12 sweet red peppers
12 small onions, peeled
Boiling water
3 Cups vinegar
1.5 Cups sugar
4 tsp salt
2 tsp celery salt

* Put peppers, seeds discarded, and onions, through food chopper. Add voiling
water to cover; let stand 10 minutes. Drain and discard liquid. Add remaining
ingredients to vegetables. Boil slowly for 15 minutes.
*Ladle into hot jars. Adjust lids at once. Process in boiling water bath (212F)
for 10 minutes.

NOTE: The recipe is old, so I've changed the boiling water bath time to reflect
today's canning standards
- I suppose you could use all green peppers if that's what you have

Enjoy,
EV

Old 10-12-2004, 01:59 AM
glynn