Old 26-10-2004, 12:59 AM
hippy gardener

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:36:20 -0400, "StanB"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus." wrote in message
.. .

Anyway you look at it, Kerry's war record is far superior to nonexistent
one
of that awol inept dopehead Dubya.

Hanoi John is a fraud and a pothead.

Stanley you ignorant fuk, that booze is addling what little brain
mass you seem to have left.....

This is America, we can and DO speak out against poor government
policies like the war in Viet Nam,

Have you served? (besides in a boy scout troop)
Old 26-10-2004, 01:08 AM
hippy gardener

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:35:05 -0700, "Anonny Moose"
wrote:

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
Kerry as a leading antiwar activist at the time attended a peace
conference attended also by Nguyen Thi Binh from Vietnam. There were no
meetings with Nguyen Thi Binh let alone negotiations,

Kerry's campaign said earlier this year that he met on the trip with
Nguyen Thi
Binh, then foreign minister of the PRG and a top negotiator at the talks.
Kerry
acknowledged in that testimony that even going to the peace talks as a
private
citizen was at the "borderline" of what was permissible under U.S. law,
which
forbids citizens from negotiating treaties with foreign governments.

If Kerry's actions were criminal and apparently known at the time, why then
did the govt not prosecute? Perhaps there was no crime?

Not only was there no crime the VVAW heroes played a major part in
the ending of the atrocities!

(still can't help but wonder how it is that the most outspoken critics
ditched military service)
Old 26-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Erma1ina

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

-- SNIP --

I think you are forgetting that we got into Vietnam when our good friends
the French asked for help defending their former colony and interests. And
like good little allies we went.

Cheryl

Well . . . you're sort of correct.

It is true that our INITIAL move into Vietnam was to aid the French.

HOWEVER, after the French were defeated at Dienbienphu, our decision to
"soldier on" and do a little nation-building, in our own (Western)
image, in Asia made that little war our very own.

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/vietnam/causes.htm

"The United States entered that war incrementally, in a series of steps
between 1950 and 1965. In May 1950, President Harry S. Truman authorized
a modest program of economic and military aid to the French, who were
fighting to retain control of their Indochina colony, including Laos and
Cambodia as well as Vietnam. When the Vietnamese Nationalist (and
Communist-led) Vietminh army defeated French forces at Dienbienphu in
1954, the French were compelled to accede to the creation of a Communist
Vietnam north of the 17th parallel while leaving a non-Communist entity
south of that line. The United States refused to accept the arrangement.
The administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower undertook instead
to build a nation from the spurious political entity that was South
Vietnam by fabricating a government there, taking over control from the
French, dispatching military advisers to train a South Vietnamese army,
and unleashing the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to conduct
psychological warfare against the North."

Sound familiar?
Old 26-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Doug Kanter

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message

[...]

Of course there wasn't. This entire discussion revolves around the beliefs
of a deluded individual who gets his "facts" from the Borg mother ship, also
known as Rush.

Old 27-10-2004, 12:42 AM

It is a sad fact that no person running for president solely on intelligence and
logic has a chance in hell of winning. I am surprised he hasnt taken to mangling
english and tossing a little stupidity into his speeches so he can pick up a few of
those who would never think of voting for anybody smarter than they think they are.
If throwing large chunks of bloody raw meat is what it takes, he should do it.
Ingrid

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
He had to make it an issue because there are quite a few dummies who think
it's relevant. Unfortunately, Kerry needs to stoop low in his attempt to
steal some of Bush's supporters, and perhaps some of the knuckleheads who
are still undecided. If throwing large chunks of raw meat is what it takes,
he'll do it.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-10-2004, 08:01 AM
gregpresley

Probably because of the way that news is transmitted in this country, the
vast majority of people don't realize that Kerry's emphasis on his Vietnam
experience in the Democratic convention was not the event that triggered the
reaction of the Swift Boat Liars in the ads that followed it in early
August.. That group actually began meeting and planning the moment Kerry won
the primary season, way back in March and April, and the book that John
O'Neill wrote was already being printed. In fact, Kerry probably felt that
he needed to set up a Vietnam background as a strength to contradict the
bullcrap that was already being staged to hit the fan in the late summer. I
get angry when I see major pundits proclaiming that Kerry set himself up to
be attacked by making his Vietnam experiences a part of the Convention -
when the attacks were already being made prior to the convention.

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
He had to make it an issue because there are quite a few dummies who

think
it's relevant. Unfortunately, Kerry needs to stoop low in his attempt to
steal some of Bush's supporters, and perhaps some of the knuckleheads who
are still undecided. If throwing large chunks of raw meat is what it

takes,
he'll do it.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 27-10-2004, 07:50 PM
paghat

Reuters reports "Bush voted Movie Villain of the Year" by a Total Film
poll. Bush won out over evil atomic scientist Doctor Octopus from
Spider-Man 2, fellow Texan Leatherface from the remake of The Texas
Chainsaw Massacre, Golem in Lord of the Rings III, & Elle Driver (Daryl
Hannah's the eyepatch assassin in Kill Bill II).

"The overwhelming response of our readers voting Bush top villain just
goes to show how frightening people found him in Fahrenheit 9/11," Total
Film's editor Matt Mueller told Reuters. "He was absolutely terrifying in
that film. The infamous scene where he's informed about the Twin Towers
attack while visiting a school, & sits there absolutely paralysed, is
enough to strike fear into anyone's heart."

About 10,000 people voted in the poll. All winners will be seen in the
upcomping issue of Total Film magazine on the stands November 4.

Original story:
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&st oryID=610550&section=news

This could well turn out to be Bush's only big win for 2004.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 28-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Edward Reid

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:10:32 -0400, paghat wrote
Does half of America REALLY care
absolutely nothing for truth, fact, or reality, but will embrace any lie
fabricated by Bush campaigners & Swiftnuts, if that's all there is to
justify an unjustifiable decision to keep Bush?

paghat,

You might be interested in this column by David Brooks in the NY times
a few days ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/23/op...Top%2fOpinion%
2fEditorials%20and%20Op%2dEd%2fOp%2dEd%2fColumnist s%2fDavid%20Brooks

It should be free for a couple more days. I often find Brooks grasping
at straws, but I think this one is pretty good. It does provide a
possible explanation for the divide which doesn't depend on the
traditional factors (which as you point out don't seem to explain
much): "Republicans ... admire leaders who are straight-talking men of
faith. ... doesn't have to be book-smart, and probably shouldn't be ...
introspective. ... Democrats ... emphasize such skills as being
knowledgeable and thoughtful. The value leaders who can see
complexities, who possess the virtues of the well-educated".

I thought it was good.

Now, my neighborhood has, I'd guess, about 350 houses. I've walked or
biked most of the streets lately, and I've found five (5) with Bush
signs. Probably half the rest have Kerry signs. It's a neighborhood
that was mostly built up in the 1950s and 1960s, with most houses on
half-acre lots yet close to the center of town. Great place for
gardeners, except for the high incidence of highly invasive exotics.
Perhaps there's a correlation.

Edward

Old 28-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Edward Reid

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:40:38 -0400, paghat wrote
puts out Flags at the drop of a pin

Interesting observations. Now that you mention it, I noticed that a few
houses which have had flag signs out since 9/11, don't have any
political signs now.

Coincidence? You Decide. ;-)

Edward

Old 29-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Lee

(paghat) wrote in message ...
snip...

..

The Bush campaign clearly sees itself as having no positive truth upon
which to base its election campaign, & so requires its Vice president to
lie outright, the President to commit lies of ommission by failing to tell
the truth himself & refusing to distance himself from the Swiftnut
campaign of outright fabrications which have been assisted by Bush's
official campaign orchestrators. When Kerry states that failure to keep
terrorists from grabbing tons & tons of explosives was a major mistake of
the administration, he merely speaks the truth, harsh & awful & damning
though that truth may be. But when Bush says Kerry advocates permitting
foreign powers to veto American wartime decisions, he lies from his own
mouth, even apart from his lies of ommission in permitting the Swiftnut
whoppers to stand.

Bush requires lies; Kerry has a damning truth on his side. But I fear
those who have without bigotry or malignancy somehow managed to support
Bush actually think it is Political Attack vs Political Attack, & they
select the liar because they are blind to the lies, or because what is
important to them is some single-issue (the false promise of lower taxes
which has already translated into taxpayer indebtedness) or to stop
abortion rights or because they think a fundamentalist is inherently a
"good" christian but a Catholic is inherently a "bad" christian --
whatever one-issue thing they have which supercedes even integrity. I
don't think these sorts of blind-spot-creating priorities require hatred
of faggots & dykes or an ignorant inability to see that Bush policies has
made the world a more dangerous place. Good people can mistakenly support
Bush. They don't have to be as crazy as Usenet Bushites or as dishonest as
the Swiftnuts. But they do have to fool themselves a lot.
assertion of faith in humanity.

-paghat the ratgirl

this is so sad.. i know a number of folks of high integrity who are
totally
taken in by this spoiled, opinionated little boy who decided to have a
quick and glorious war of his own, to finish what his dady started and
be in the history books as the saviour of mankind.
Leo/lee
Old 29-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Doug Kanter

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
(paghat) wrote in message

snip...

.

[...]

Here's what's really sad: The village idiot may be elected again. Because he
listens to voices in his head (and calls them "God's voice"), my 15 year old
son may be among those chosen to be a very poorly paid mercenary for the oil
business. Fortunately, my son figured out this scam about a year ago.
Otherwise, I'd have to put a bullet through the eye of the phoney patriot
who came to get him when he refused to be drafted three or four years from
now.

Old 30-10-2004, 03:55 PM

OK.. maybe reverse discrimination but I think we already have a couple gay couples on
the block and I am hoping fervently maybe the house 2 doors down will also be sold to
gays cause the two already here are really doing great things with their house,
planting gardens on front lawns and generally wonderful neighbors. sigh. my luck the
house 2 doors down will be sold to gay slobs... and Loghouse Republicans.
Ingrid

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
So...when I'd mention some of these upstanding citizens to the bus stop
hens, they'd remark that all neighborhoods have quirky people, and that I
should get used to it. In other words, they were OK living with the assholes
described above. But, heaven forbid the children should stop at the gay
guy's house on Halloween.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 30-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Cereus-validus.

Gay redneck Republicans in Arizona?

Do they carry guns too?

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
So...when I'd mention some of these upstanding citizens to the bus stop
hens, they'd remark that all neighborhoods have quirky people, and that I
should get used to it. In other words, they were OK living with the

assholes
described above. But, heaven forbid the children should stop at the gay
guy's house on Halloween.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List