Old 19-10-2004, 10:02 AM
paghat

Default "Vote for insanity. You know it makes sense." -Lord Sutch

Put my ballot in the mail today. In the past I've gotten a bit weirded out
voting before most everyone else, but what needed to be done this time was
so obvious, if galling, that I just did the "all democrats" thing with the
realization that if that doesn't work, things will only get worse, whereas
if it does work, things may merely stay just as bad.

On our ballot the only well-represented third-party is Libertarians. About
two out of every three of their basic ideas aren't all that nutty, but
when they're wrong, hooboy are they off the deep end nuts. If they ever
had an ounce of power they promise to give the national forests away to
big business who will of course be excellent guardians of the resources
for everyone. And the moon is made of cheese. A civil libertarian myself,
it annoys me that the word has become increasingly associated with these
crackpots.

The Greens weren't well represented on the ballot & the Green presidential
candidate is such a screw-loose dipshit anyway; yesterday I heard him
actually promising in his swishy Sylvester lisp, "We will fightth for the
rightth of animalth and plantth." Well good for you buster, but I'm afraid
the plants might outwit you, & by the way, you're embarrassing to
environmentalists. Or how about voting Nader -- that'd be like voting for
a pot of moldy beans & then when you sit down to eat, surprise surprise,
it's still moldy beans. Besides, he still owes me the $20 he stole from
me.

Constitution party? Is there slogan on women's rights still, "Barefoot &
Pregnant & In the Kitchen!" They make crazy-right Bush look like a
moderate. They're such fundamentalist twits with zero sense of history,
talking about some alternate-world wherein founding fathers weren't Deists
& Masons after all, but Baptists, & they're not joking, they really
believe their crap is sweet. The Constitution Party makes me miss the
Northwest Rhinocerous Party which ran on platforms of party hats & moon
colonies & a tiddly-wink in every pot, which made ever so much more
logical sense. So while in past years I've liked to vote for the
occasional third party, this year there wouldn't've been any non-loony
choices anyhow.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 19-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
On our ballot the only well-represented third-party is Libertarians. About
two out of every three of their basic ideas aren't all that nutty, but
when they're wrong, hooboy are they off the deep end nuts. If they ever
had an ounce of power they promise to give the national forests away to
big business who will of course be excellent guardians of the resources
for everyone. And the moon is made of cheese. A civil libertarian myself,
it annoys me that the word has become increasingly associated with these
crackpots.

The LP here (Rochester NY) has a booth at some of the local outdoor
festivals. The following theory came from one of the staff, who I *hope* was
not representative of the mainstream in that party. Ready? Do away with all
tax except sales tax. When I questioned him about which charity would
maintain the roads, he said the users of roads would pay for it. How? Toll
booths. I commented that we already had toll booths on highways like the NY
State Thruway, but I couldn't see how the concept would work on local roads.
He said anything was possible.

He looked young, so I told him that the "right turn on red" thing didn't
exist in many states until the oil crisis of the early 1970s, and was
instituted so less cars would idle uselessly at red lights. I suggested that
toll booths would reverse this concept. He said "Oh well. What can I tell
ya?"

Oh boy.

Old 19-10-2004, 07:24 PM

actually... what ya get is afghanistans and saudia arabias.... a combination of
devolution and muscle. Ingrid

Larry Blanchard wrote:
It helps if we'd remember that all politics is the result of a collision
between two facts.

1. Most people want no laws that would restrict their freedom to do
anything they want.

2. Without laws, and the means to enforce them, people with lots of
smarts and no ethics will own the world.

The current problems result from a third fact. Those people with no
ethics are MAKING the laws! And I include both major parties in that.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-10-2004, 07:55 PM
escapee

I had the same thought the other day of voting straight party democrat. I
fluctuate between Bush is going to win and our country will suffer circumstances
we'll never recover from; to Kerry will win in a landslide because of all the
new voters, young voters, etc, who are probably not counted in these idiotic
polls.

The whole shit stinks. The Catholic is passing out booklets telling their
parishioners how to vote according to Christ. Where's my book apologizing for
the thousand priests (give or take) who have been convicted, caught, or indicted
for raping children? Ya, I didn't think so.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:02:21 -0700, (paghat)
opined:

Old 19-10-2004, 08:16 PM

(paghat) wrote:

[...]

Presumably, Paggers, your header quote is from "Screaming" Lord Sutch,
the quirky but illustrious UK politician and fighter of by-elections
as a member of his "Monster Raving Loony" Party, who sadly checked out
of political life before his full potential was ever realised.

Geoff

Old 19-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Doug Kanter

"escapee" wrote in message
I had the same thought the other day of voting straight party democrat. I
fluctuate between Bush is going to win and our country will suffer

circumstances
we'll never recover from; to Kerry will win in a landslide because of all

the
new voters, young voters, etc, who are probably not counted in these

idiotic
polls.

The whole shit stinks. The Catholic is passing out booklets telling their
parishioners how to vote according to Christ. Where's my book apologizing

for
the thousand priests (give or take) who have been convicted, caught, or

indicted
for raping children? Ya, I didn't think so.

Those priests did it for god. Now, pull down your pants while I go get the
ruler.

Old 20-10-2004, 02:51 AM
paghat

wrote:

The Constitution Party makes me miss the
Northwest Rhinocerous Party which ran on platforms of party hats & moon
colonies & a tiddly-wink in every pot, which made ever so much more
logical sense.

You've evidently not seen the Guns And Dope Party ("Every Man, Woman, and
Ostrich is a Tsar"),
http://www.gunsanddope.com

Oh, that's very cute, glad you pointed me to it, though I'd be more
inclined to the Books & Movies Party. And they're outdone by the Owl Party
in washington state & the Rhino party in British Columbia because they
actually got onto ballots & were included in the primary voters' booklets.
And received more votes than any other third-party for those years. It was
the Owl Party I was actually thinking of when I typed Rhino, I get them
mixed up, & the Rhinos were around so much longer. OWL stood for "Out With
Logic, On With Lunacy." I wish someone put up a memorial website for all
the folks involved. Jazz man Thomas Kelly, Owl Party candidate for
governor of Washington, promised to change our capital's name from Olympia
to Ept, so that everyone would be able to say the Legislature was In Ept.
Owl Party secretary-of-state candidate Lucy Griswold ran on a platform
opposing the heartbreak of psoriasis, & got 40,000 votes. Damn, I wish I'd
saved that voter's book. Kelly died earlier this year so was briefly back
in the news:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001953493_kellyobit11m.html

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 20-10-2004, 02:50 PM

I have already decided that if Kerry doesnt win I am going to stop spending any money
for anything except absolute necessities. I am going to keep my money under the
cushions, not in the bank. I will encourage everyone in this country to simply go on
strike against the wealthy corporations who have bought the politicians. Ingrid

escapee wrote:
I had the same thought the other day of voting straight party democrat. I
fluctuate between Bush is going to win and our country will suffer circumstances
we'll never recover from; to Kerry will win in a landslide because of all the
new voters, young voters, etc, who are probably not counted in these idiotic
polls.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 20-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Hank Snatch

wrote in message
I have already decided that if Kerry doesnt win I am going to stop

spending any money
for anything except absolute necessities. I am going to keep my money

under the
cushions, not in the bank. I will encourage everyone in this country to

simply go on
strike against the wealthy corporations who have bought the politicians.

Ingrid

I would be happy to buy you a ticket to Havana or Peking, your choice.

Old 20-10-2004, 03:34 PM
escapee

Good idea, but not practical. In a perfect world I'd grow all my own food, only
eat in season, never take a drug for anything, live in the boondocks. In the
real world, I shop at the grocery store, take medication when needed, grow what
I can.

I am pretty ****ed off about the whole prescription drug thing with Canada. Why
is it WE can make the drugs, export them out to Canada, but they can't import
them back because they could be sub-standard? Are we selling sub-standard drugs
to Canada?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:50:14 GMT, opined:

escapee wrote:
I had the same thought the other day of voting straight party democrat. I
fluctuate between Bush is going to win and our country will suffer circumstances
we'll never recover from; to Kerry will win in a landslide because of all the
new voters, young voters, etc, who are probably not counted in these idiotic
polls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 20-10-2004, 03:36 PM
escapee

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:02:13 -0400, "Hank Snatch"
opined:

wrote in message
I have already decided that if Kerry doesnt win I am going to stop

spending any money
for anything except absolute necessities. I am going to keep my money

under the
cushions, not in the bank. I will encourage everyone in this country to

simply go on
strike against the wealthy corporations who have bought the politicians.

Ingrid

I would be happy to buy you a ticket to Havana or Peking, your choice.

This is not the point. Nobody is saying this is not a great country. However,
the current administration is turning it into a shit heap with the rest of the
world. We are more hated now than ever, especially by terrorists. Good going,
Geo.

I know someone who recently bought land in Costa Rica and the sound of having
monkeys in my trees and waterfalls in my yard is starting to sound better and
better to me.

Old 20-10-2004, 06:45 PM

but we have quite a bit of disposable income. we go out to eat, I buy stuff on ebay
all the time, etc. we would just stop buying anything EXCEPT necessities. I mean it
would only be for 4 years. I think I got enough fur coats, boots, etc to last that
long. Got enough furniture. The problem as I see it is that the very wealthiest
people and companies are buying more and more of our elections every year. I think
if a significant number of people just stopped buying everything but the necessities
for a while it may put a dent in the amount of money they can dump on "their"
candidates. OTOH, maybe I should just take all my disposable income and only buy
stuff made by Democrats.
the whole reimportation from Canada is bullshit. production of many if not most
drugs is out sourced to other countries already, that is why we are coming up short
on flu vaccine.
I find it unbelievable that W insist he is protecting Americans from sub-standard
drugs from Canada and then in the next breath says we are working with Canadians to
get flu vaccine from them.
INgrid

escapee wrote:
I had the same thought the other day of voting straight party democrat. I
fluctuate between Bush is going to win and our country will suffer circumstances
we'll never recover from; to Kerry will win in a landslide because of all the
new voters, young voters, etc, who are probably not counted in these idiotic
polls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 20-10-2004, 07:33 PM
paghat

In article , "Hank Snatch"
wrote:

wrote in message
I have already decided that if Kerry doesnt win I am going to stop

spending any money
for anything except absolute necessities. I am going to keep my money

under the
cushions, not in the bank. I will encourage everyone in this country to

simply go on
strike against the wealthy corporations who have bought the politicians.

Ingrid

I would be happy to buy you a ticket to Havana or Peking, your choice.

I'll take the ticket to Peking! If you're only offering one-way tickets
I'll buy my own to get back. If you're only buying it for who you'd
falsely assess as antiAmerican, well hey, for the vacation I'll play:
AMERICA SUCKS. Now send me that ticket. Hoohoo! I'm going to China!