GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Found a jelly substance in my herb garden - HELP ME PLEASE!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85298-found-jelly-substance-my-herb-garden-help-me-please.html)

hippy gardener 22-10-2004 12:30 AM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:04:27 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

How dismal, Doug.

On the other side of the coin, I've occasionally come home to find
people wandering or sitting in my gardens, just enjoying them.
Neighbours sometimes bring their visitors for a look-see.In summer, I
don't fill the birds' peanut feeders; but every so often, they are
mysteriously filled up with fresh nuts.. and new plants are anonymously
left on the porch. I don't know who does those kind things and rather
like it that way.

That's what comes from living in an ancient civil society....
remember half of us are voting for Bush! :(

Warren 22-10-2004 01:33 AM

hippy gardener wrote:
That's what comes from living in an ancient civil society....
remember half of us are voting for Bush! :(

Half the population is below average in intelligence.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Black & Decker Landscaping Tools & Parts:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker

Shell 22-10-2004 02:54 AM

LOL Don't blame you a bit
Shell

"clc" wrote in message

"Shell" wrote in message
m...
Once when we lived in New Mexico in the mountains a whole family came up

our house and were looking in the window. Faces pressed against the

glass
while we were having dinner. My dad went out to see what they wanted

and
they actually wanted to come inside and look around. They were tourists
whose brains must have gone to Alaska for vacation while they went to

New
Mexico.

The only thing worse was when we came home from work to find about 7

guys
on
our roof. They claimed we called to get a roofing estimate. Only

problem
was we hadn't and their company didn't exist when we checked. Very
disconcerting.

Shell

... and I won't be moving to New Mexico... :)

Cheryl (IL)

---

Salty Thumb 22-10-2004 03:50 AM

(Lindie) wrote in
om:

Hello All,

For two days I have found small pieces of clear jelly substance
(imagine small roughly diced pieces of agar-agar, although one piece I
found yesterday was as big as a fist) lightly burried around the the
edges of my seedling pots (basil in particular). I actually saw a
neighbour putting them there. I suspect it to be a weed killer of
some sort, but I cannot find anything on the 'net along these lines.
Any advice on how to research this? Any suggestion on what this
substance could be? (I have saved some in the frigde)

Thank you all in advance for your time.
Lindie

Were there little tiny garden tools imbedded inside?

http://groups.google.com/groups?
hl=en&lr=&safe=off&frame=right&th=a3f68e6aafc2fa1b &seekm=f89143b2.0406190
158.752e0240%40posting.google.com#link4

Shout out to madgardener!

Lindie 22-10-2004 07:23 AM

Doug Kanter wrote:

2) Why didn't you call the police INSTANTLY when you saw your neighbor
placing the substance, and have them accompany you to the neighbor's house?

I did, and the neighbour denied it.

So my question still stands to anyone is willing to help. Are there
any clear gelatinous herbicides in existence? I cannot find any on
the net.

PS Snooze: The jelly is enclosed in a plastic bag and then in a
plastic airtitght container.

PPS Sed5555: Thank you.

Doug Kanter 22-10-2004 01:29 PM

"Lindie" wrote in message
om...
Doug Kanter wrote:

2) Why didn't you call the police INSTANTLY when you saw your neighbor
placing the substance, and have them accompany you to the neighbor's

house?

I did, and the neighbour denied it.

So my question still stands to anyone is willing to help. Are there
any clear gelatinous herbicides in existence? I cannot find any on
the net.

Call the cops and ask them to follow up on it. Good cops are often skilled
at spotting liars and evil people. And, politely ask the neighbor not to
fiddle with your plants unless given permission.

Doug Kanter 22-10-2004 02:37 PM

wrote:

How dismal, Doug.

On the other side of the coin, I've occasionally come home to find
people wandering or sitting in my gardens, just enjoying them.
Neighbours sometimes bring their visitors for a look-see.In summer, I
don't fill the birds' peanut feeders; but every so often, they are
mysteriously filled up with fresh nuts.. and new plants are anonymously
left on the porch. I don't know who does those kind things and rather
like it that way.

That's what comes from living in an ancient civil society....
remember half of us are voting for Bush! :(

Three more years....my son's done with high school, and I can pick a new
place to live. Hmmm......

Zemedelec 22-10-2004 08:40 PM

It sounds like Soil Moist, which helps keep plants watered--it swells up in a
rain, releases the water in dry conditions. I just bought 2 more jars from J&
P. Good stuff.
zemedelec

paghat 22-10-2004 09:11 PM

In article ,
pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

It sounds like Soil Moist, which helps keep plants watered--it swells up in a
rain, releases the water in dry conditions. I just bought 2 more jars from J&
P. Good stuff.
zemedelec

Products like Soil Moist or Water Smart are not gelatin, but are polymers
which can persist for decades or centuries as pollution, having enormous
molecules that interact poorly with the environment. Some such products
are made of a biodegradable polymer which is probably even worse because
it breaks down into chemical components that enter the food chain & screw
up the endocrine system of animals including people.

The claims that they keep soil up to 400 times moister & can do away with
the need ever again to water the garden are sales pitch lies of the
vastest enormity of untruth. But these products do sometimes lock moisture
to themselves in such a manner that moisture is no longer accessible to
plants; & the product can turn the soil into a plasticized mess that
rejects water altogether. These polymers should NEVER be put into a
garden, though a better argument (unconvincing to me) could be made for
using them for containered plants or houseplants, though I'd still worry
what becomes of the container soil when it is replaced -- if tossed in the
garden it'd cause harm, & what's the sense of turning perfectly good dirt
into something harmful.

Here's my article on "Deadly Polymers For Your Garden":

http://www.paghat.com/polymers.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Pen 22-10-2004 09:55 PM

Mmmm. I gotta look for one, sounds like something to put between the
sugar maple and sausage tree. :D

FACE wrote in message . ..
On 20 Oct 2004 20:09:56 -0700, (Lindie) in rec.gardens
wrote:

Have you tried it on toast yet?

It could be seed stock of "arborus jellus" (jelly tree).

FACE 'scuse me, I gotta go shake the grit bush for dinner

Bill 22-10-2004 09:58 PM

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from (Lindie) contains these words:

So my question still stands to anyone is willing to help. Are there
any clear gelatinous herbicides in existence? I cannot find any on
the net.

The product people have been discussing in this thread is often sold
as dry flakes to add to potting compost; it swells into jelly when it
gets wet. So, yes, it's theoretically possible to soak the dry stuff in
weedkiller solution and make it swell up. But that wouldn't really make
sense in this scenario, because it would be much easier (and less
evident) if someone intended to harm your plants, just to pour in
liquid.

Is it possible that your neighbour is either mentally ill or has
dementia? I've got both kinds; sometimes they behave very oddly (and
deny it) but none of it is malicious, just sad.

Janet

Oh, so you do live next to Doug! :)

--
The Hawke

GrampysGurl 22-10-2004 11:43 PM

So my question still stands to anyone is willing to help. Are there
any clear gelatinous herbicides in existence? I cannot find any on
the net.

I'm thinking it is the plastic stuff that keeps moisture in the soil.... liken
to the crystals in baby diapers.

GrampysGurl 22-10-2004 11:48 PM

It's been there for over 30 years and was turning into a lovely small
tree border when they lopped it of to 3 foot tall (it had been 12) They
asked if they could "trim" the hedge

Must be my old neighbors, do you live in Connecticut? LOL!!!
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

GrampysGurl 22-10-2004 11:49 PM

That's it - I'm a movin' to Scotland. Sounds like the neighbors there are
much friendlier than in my neck of the woods.

Cheryl (IL)

My SIL is from Scotland and is one of the loveliest ladies I know :o)
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Doug Kanter 23-10-2004 02:22 PM

"Bill" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

[...]

You've apparently not met my former mother-in-law.