GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How much of what to add to sawdust (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85414-how-much-what-add-sawdust.html)

Shirley Bollinger 23-10-2004 07:33 PM

How much of what to add to sawdust

I've obtained a bunch of softwood sawdust that I'd like to use as a
mulch. Apparently this will deplete nitrogen. What do I have to add,
and in what amounts, to prevent nitrogen depletion (and any other
unwanted effects)?

Thank you

Phisherman 23-10-2004 08:12 PM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:33:54 GMT, Shirley Bollinger
wrote:

I've obtained a bunch of softwood sawdust that I'd like to use as a
mulch. Apparently this will deplete nitrogen. What do I have to add,
and in what amounts, to prevent nitrogen depletion (and any other
unwanted effects)?

Thank you

Allow the sawdust to age, uncovered, outdoors for at least 9-10
months. You could sprinkle 34-0-0 over the mound before the aging
process. I use old sawdust for my blueberry plants.

Gualtier Malde (Chuck) 26-10-2004 08:12 PM

Thank you for your replies. I'll let the sawdust age. Hadn't thought
of that.

--
The spam has finally gotten to me so I've corrupted the address above.
Try 'yahoo'.