Old 28-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Bellsouth

Default Aphids on My Bushes

Any suggestions for getting rid of aphids? I would prefer a home made
solution, but if it takes a harsh one from the hardware store, I'll try
that. They are all over my gardinia and hibiscus bushes. Thanks in
advance. Sandy

Old 28-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Hank Snatch

"Bellsouth" wrote in message
Any suggestions for getting rid of aphids? I would prefer a home made
solution, but if it takes a harsh one from the hardware store, I'll try
that. They are all over my gardinia and hibiscus bushes. Thanks in
advance. Sandy

Wash 'em off with a good hard spray from your garden hose.

Old 28-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Timothy

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:36:40 -0400, Bellsouth wrote:

Any suggestions for getting rid of aphids? I would prefer a home made
solution, but if it takes a harsh one from the hardware store, I'll try
that. They are all over my gardinia and hibiscus bushes. Thanks in
advance. Sandy

Good day Sandy. I would suggest that you hose off the plants with a good
blast from the garden hose making sure to hit the undersides of the leaves
as much as possible. You will need to repeat this every few days for a few
weeks or so untill they are gone for good.
You may also choose to use safer insecticidal soap. This is rather benign
stuff which is made of potassium salts. The patassium salt is sprayed on
the soft body insects and the salt "sucks" the water out of their bodies.
Brutal but effective. Pyrethrin is also another option that you may choose
to use that isn't that bad to use. Pyrethrin comes from the pyrethrum
flower, it's rather stinky but it works.

Good luck with the bugs.......

--
Trees are like children, train them right when their young.....
or spend a lifetime trying to correct them.
Old 28-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Cereus-validus.

Don't blame the aphids. Its those damn lousy Bushes.

Vote for Kerry on November 2 and that will take care of that annoying Bush
problem.

Old 28-10-2004, 10:07 PM
hawk

"Bellsouth" wrote in message
Any suggestions for getting rid of aphids? I would prefer a home made
solution, but if it takes a harsh one from the hardware store, I'll try
that. They are all over my gardinia and hibiscus bushes. Thanks in
advance. Sandy

Just about everyone in Se MN has hordes of Asian lady beetles, I'm sure
they would gladly send you a few thousand.
You can also get lady bugs via mail order. They love to eat aphids.

Old 29-10-2004, 08:11 AM
madgardener

ladybugs. release them in the evening after you've sprayed them with a
little water to provide moisture for them. releasing them in the evenings
assures that they'll light on the plants and sleep, waking up to eat the
aphids, lay eggs and their children, "Aphid Lion's" will be even more
voracious!
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
"Bellsouth" wrote in message
Any suggestions for getting rid of aphids? I would prefer a home made
solution, but if it takes a harsh one from the hardware store, I'll try
that. They are all over my gardinia and hibiscus bushes. Thanks in
advance. Sandy

[IMG] code is On

aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 3 19-11-2003 07:12 AM
Aphids on hibiscus ame-ame Australia 5 24-04-2003 02:56 AM
Aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 2 26-02-2003 07:51 PM
aphids Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 10 25-02-2003 04:52 AM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 03:14 AM