GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New 2005 Orchid Species Calendar (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85861-new-2005-orchid-species-calendar.html)

Sarah 01-11-2004 03:24 PM

It's beautiful, Prem!

Sarah

"prem_s" wrote in message
I have compiled a 2005 wall calendar featuring my species orchid
photography.

http://www.cafepress.com/speciesorchs006

this is in addition to the FL native orchids calendar posted earlier:

http://www.cafepress.com/nativeorchs001

---Prem
Orchid art, photography, t-shirts, and related products:
http://www.premdesign.com/orchidpics/

Som 02-11-2004 12:28 AM

Wow! what a great way to advertise your products for free!!...

"Sarah" wrote in message ...
It's beautiful, Prem!

Sarah

K Barrett 02-11-2004 01:03 AM

I know, next he'll plead innocent that he didn't realize it was advertising,
he only wanted to show how neat his calendars are.
K Barrett

"Som" wrote in message
om...
Wow! what a great way to advertise your products for free!!...

"Sarah" wrote in message

It's beautiful, Prem!

Sarah

Al 02-11-2004 02:21 AM

Warning: nondenominational comment ahead:
CafePress.com is the same company that Max (remember her) used to make her
orchid coffee mugs and cards. It is an interesting business model for
people who have pictures that can be put on things like calendars and cards
and t-shirts and coffee mugs and shoes horns and teddy bears and soup cans.
I still have my "Usual Suspects" mug. I went to cafe press and typed
"orchids" into the site search looking for her mugs to see if she was still
doing it. There were 100 pages of orchid related products. Some of them
looked pretty neat. I saw an "I Love Orchids" license plate holder as I was
paging down. :-) and more cards and calendars and mugs than there are
orchid species.... :-)

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I know, next he'll plead innocent that he didn't realize it was
advertising,
he only wanted to show how neat his calendars are.
K Barrett

"Som" wrote in message
om...
Wow! what a great way to advertise your products for free!!...

"Sarah" wrote in message

It's beautiful, Prem!

Sarah

prem_s 02-11-2004 07:06 AM

K Barrett wrote:
I know, next he'll plead innocent that he didn't realize it was advertising,
he only wanted to show how neat his calendars are.
K Barrett

Actually, I'll do no such thing...I was indeed advertising the
presence of my calendar to people who've seen my orchid
photography for a number of years. There's been a
long-standing (long before Mr./Ms./Mrs. Barrett showed up)
tradition on (at least) rec.gardens.orchids that posting a
URL to something new and interesting (like an update to your
own plant listing if you're a commercial vendor) is not
out-of-bounds. Posting the contents of your plant listing,
or posting the details of your orchid-related item
(specifications, price, etc.), directly to the nesgroup, on
the other hand, would be crossing the line.

Hence, since I did not cross this line on r.g.o, I see no reason to
apologize or excuse my actions. Now, if I've violated the
charters of the other newsgroups to which I've posted (of
which I'm admittedly less aware), then I would gladly offer
my sincere apologies for any offense caused.

Ray 02-11-2004 10:50 AM

I think folks were just pulling your leg, Prem.

You're absolutely right about the long-standing tradition. For the first
several years in the existence of my business, posts here stating stuff like
"I just added some new plants. Go to the URL below, if you're interested in
seeing them." was my ONLY form of advertising, and the participants of this
group have always been very supportive.

..

J Fortuna 02-11-2004 12:26 PM

Prem,
My two cents on this subject: I would think that if a person (such as
yourself or Ray, for example) who is a valuable participant in this virtual
community and has posted many messages that are not just advertisements,
chooses to post a brief non-obnoxious ad for their products from time to
time, as long as it is orchid related and likely to be of interest to the
participants, I don't think there is any problem, and I hope that others
feel the same.

What does bother me is if someone we have never heard of before posts a
message to this and a dozen other newsgroups which are at best marginally
related to his subject without bothering to even stick around to see whether
anyone minds. Since what you did wasn't remotely like that, no problem here.
Joanna

Lady Blacksword 04-11-2004 12:10 AM

I agree w/ Joanna. And, being an artist myself, I'd like to offer
counter-encouragement to the comment awhile back, about your calendar being
too expensive.
It Isn't.
Read that a couple of times, and feel free to fluff up and preen.
People will always have a tendency to say something is "too pricey" when
they personally can't or won't afford it. I'll just be truthful - I'm an
artist (jewelry designer), and I can't afford to buy it. I'd love to have
your calendars, Prem, and I'd buy them for that price in a heartbeat, but,
honestly, I'm cheap. I'd rather buy an orchid in my splurge moment.
Keep up the good work and don't let nay-sayers get you down,
Murri

PS-
To all who think Prem's calendars are too expensive, trot your butts down to
Barnes and Noble, and see just how much they are charging for calendars,
many of them far inferior in photographic talent.
Then shut your face and give him the complements he deserves, instead of
stupid complaints.

-----------------------------

Frank ess 04-11-2004 01:57 AM

Lady Blacksword wrote:
....trot your butts
....Murri

too cute by half

Lady Blacksword 04-11-2004 09:09 AM

*raised eyebrow*
Excuse me? Is that a pick-up line?
Murri

"Frank ess" wrote in message
Lady Blacksword wrote:
...trot your butts
...Murri

too cute by half

J Fortuna 04-11-2004 01:08 PM

Murri,
I was surprised by Frank's reply to your post, too. But then I re-read your
post, and you did write "trot your butts". And it is a phrase that is too
cute by half. And no, this is not a pickup line! :-)
Joanna

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
*raised eyebrow*
Excuse me? Is that a pick-up line?
Murri

"Frank ess" wrote in message
Lady Blacksword wrote:
...trot your butts
...Murri

too cute by half

Lady Blacksword 04-11-2004 09:04 PM

*grin* Sorry, I tend to type the way I speak when I'm ticked off, and I was
avoiding using "a*ses". But then, one man's figure of speech, is another
man's bellylaugh. (My apologies to R.A.H. for slaughtering his quote in the
name of conversation)
Glad to know it's not a pick-up line.
Murri

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Murri,
I was surprised by Frank's reply to your post, too. But then I re-read

your
post, and you did write "trot your butts". And it is a phrase that is too
cute by half. And no, this is not a pickup line! :-)
Joanna

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
*raised eyebrow*
Excuse me? Is that a pick-up line?