GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Camellias from seed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85987-camellias-seed.html)

Mike Prager 04-11-2004 04:03 PM

Camellias from seed?

In weeding the garden, I pulled what I later realized was a
small C. sasanqua that had sprouted from a seed dropped by a
nearby specimen. I wonder about raising such sprouts to
maturity.

Has anyone here successfully raised volunteer camellias? How
did they turn out?

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

MLEBLANCA 06-11-2004 03:34 AM

Has anyone here successfully raised volunteer camellias? How
did they turn out?

Mike Prager

My experience was rather like trying to win the lottery :
one died young, one was very weak and spindly, and one grew well, but it never
did flower., didn't even make buds.
A friend had better luck and got a pretty good plant, so why not go ahead and
try it.
Maybe you will get a winning number!

If it doesn't work, you can always "forget" to water it...................

Emilie
NorCal

Mike Prager 07-11-2004 12:47 AM

MLEBLANCA wrote:

Has anyone here successfully raised volunteer camellias? How
did they turn out?

Mike Prager

My experience was rather like trying to win the lottery :
one died young, one was very weak and spindly, and one grew well, but it never
did flower., didn't even make buds.
A friend had better luck and got a pretty good plant, so why not go ahead and
try it.
Maybe you will get a winning number!

If it doesn't work, you can always "forget" to water it...................

Thanks for the info. I think I will try it next time.

As you say, nothing is permanent....

Frogleg 09-11-2004 09:03 AM

MLEBLANCA wrote:

Has anyone here successfully raised volunteer camellias? How
did they turn out?

Rooting around for information, I discovreed that Camellias rarely
breed true from seed and that cuttings are the more common way to
propagate.

I have several sturdy plants around the base of my overgrown Camellia
bush/tree hat have grown from (dropped) seed, but I usually dig them
up and give them away before I've seen them flower.