GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   oil for hedge clippers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/86048-oil-hedge-clippers.html)

Lobo 05-11-2004 06:40 PM

oil for hedge clippers

Do I need to oil the blades of my electric hedge clippers? Will common
household oil do? ... like sewing machine oil?
TIA
Lobo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ozboc 05-11-2004 09:38 PM

Lobo - ignore the previous Gronks reply --- Generally you should keep the
blades lubricated - as they pass over each other touching - they can wear
down prematurly if not lubricated - a few drops of Engine oil ( same as used
in your car ) will do the trick. or spray some wd40 on the blades before and
after use to maxamise life

Boc

Beecrofter 06-11-2004 05:08 PM

"Lobo" wrote in message ...
Do I need to oil the blades of my electric hedge clippers? Will common
household oil do? ... like sewing machine oil?
TIA
Lobo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sewing machine oil will do fine.

Also you can clean all the pitch and sap off the blades with any
strongly alkaline cleaner. Oven cleaner works very well, just stand
the clipper up so it does not run into the motor and rinse well in an
hour.
You (unplug the cord first) can move the cutters along by using a nail
to turn the motor fan through the cooling slots until they are open
and not overlapped.

In my sharpening shop I prelube all resharpened trimmers with bar and
chain oil cut in half with kerosene, and it works very well.

Tom, Daily Grind Sharpening Service