GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   is it true? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/86427-true.html)

K. 14-11-2004 11:44 AM

is it true?

is it true that, you sholdn't ''touch'' your plants much?
i mean, that you have to leave it, only water at the time and it would grow
better then if you are always around it etc. (sorry for my english)

Tom Randy 14-11-2004 12:08 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:44:09 +0100, K. wrote:

is it true that, you sholdn't ''touch'' your plants much? i mean, that you
have to leave it, only water at the time and it would grow better then if
you are always around it etc. (sorry for my english)

It's total nonsense unless you have some sort of chemical(s) on your
fingers that could damage them.

Stephen M. Henning 14-11-2004 03:52 PM

"K." wrote:

is it true that, you shouldn't ''touch'' your plants much?
i mean, that you have to leave it, only water at the time and it would grow
better then if you are always around it etc. (sorry for my english)

No generalities are always true. Some may be mostly false.

The main killer of plants is over watering. Hence, this is a case of
too much love is deadly.

Touching some plants does remove fragile surface hairs that protect
leaves from insects, thin wax coatings that protect leaves from
desiccation, or break fragile structures.

In general most plants take gentle touching quite well. My wife grows
herbs and she runs her fingers down the leave of most her plants so she
can enjoy the fragrant oils they give off.