Old 15-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Treers

Default Reclaiming a Tree From Ivy

Behind my new house (zone 6) there is a huge maple, probably 5-6 feet in
diameter, which the previous owners allowed to be swamped by english ivy.

It had gotten probably 20 feet up the tree, and some of the vines were two
inches in diameter.

I have cut the ivy down and pulled up as many roots as possible (realizing
that new shoots may be coming back for some time). Should I do anything
else to help the tree?

Some of the bark at the base of the tree appears to have been rotted where
the thickest vines started climbing, although the rot doesn't appear to be
deep or wide.

The roots were getting swamped by a dense mat of ivy roots, runners, and
thatchy pulp about 6 inches deep. I know that in general trees don't like
additional cover over their roots.

I'm guessing that from time to time someone went over the patch with a
lawnmower but did nothing to actually uproot the ivy. I've pulled out the
mat about a foot from the trunk but I'm wondering how much more I should
yank it out -- it extends probably 4 feet from the trunk, so I'm guessing
it covers 100+ square feet.

Would it make more sense to just cut and yank out the ivy as it reappears
and let the roots starve to death, then let the mat slowly decompose, or is
more active removal wise? I know that ivy roots are very resistant to rot,
so I'm reluctant to let nature run its course if that means smothering the
roots of this tree.
Old 15-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Treers wrote:

Behind my new house (zone 6) there is a huge maple, probably 5-6 feet in
diameter, which the previous owners allowed to be swamped by english ivy.
I'm guessing that from time to time someone went over the patch with a
lawnmower but did nothing to actually uproot the ivy. I've pulled out the
mat about a foot from the trunk but I'm wondering how much more I should
yank it out -- it extends probably 4 feet from the trunk, so I'm guessing
it covers 100+ square feet.
Would it make more sense to just cut and yank out the ivy as it reappears

and let the roots starve to death, then let the mat slowly decompose, or is
more active removal wise? I know that ivy roots are very resistant to rot,
so I'm reluctant to let nature run its course if that means smothering the
roots of this tree.

The tree is 5-6 feet in diameter. The ivy is in a ring only 13-14 feet
in diameter (4 feet outside the tree trunk). The drip line is much
bigger than this. I doubt that the ivy is interfering with the roots
much any more. Probably just mowing it would keep the ivy in check and
keeping it away from the bark will keep the tree healthy.
Old 15-11-2004, 05:31 PM
treers

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote :

Treers wrote:

Behind my new house (zone 6) there is a huge maple, probably 5-6 feet
in diameter, which the previous owners allowed to be swamped by
english ivy. I'm guessing that from time to time someone went over
[...]

Thanks for the comment.

Any suggestions on how to turn this tangled mat of roots and leaves and
stems and who knows what else into something plantable without pulling it
up? Will mulching over it help speed the killing and decomposition
process, or will it just give the ivy a better environment for spreading?

I'd like to put some kind of shade-tolerant non-invasive ground cover in
place of the ivy, or even just mulch, something to cover up this ugly
thicket. But I don't want to do anything until I know I have the ivy under
control (I know it's not easy to kill for good).
Old 15-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Stephen M. Henning

treers wrote:

Any suggestions on how to turn this tangled mat of roots and leaves and
stems and who knows what else into something plantable without pulling it
up? Will mulching over it help speed the killing and decomposition
process, or will it just give the ivy a better environment for spreading?

Not much grows under Norway Maples. If it is some other kind of Maple,
you may have better luck.

I assume by ivy, you mean English Ivy, Hedera helix. It is considered
"a noxious invasive plant." Washington State University
[http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/weed_info/Ivy.htm] recommends:

1) Burning plants and re-sprouts at regular intervals with a blow torch
will eventually deplete the plant's energy.

2) Due to its waxy cuticle, ivy is not easily controlled with
herbicides. However, Derr reported complete control of English ivy with
two applications of 2,4-D at 1 lb/acre, applied as foliar sprays in June
and August.

After doing either 1) or 2) above, I would recommend covering it with
black plastic and covering that with a good mulch. Then after a couple
years, it should be OK to plant. You might have to repeat 1) or 2) on
the edges periodically.

Note: Norway Maple is also considered "a noxious invasive plant."

Also, check out:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/hehe1.htm

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Toward food sovereignty: Reclaiming autonomous food systems [pdf] Bill who putters Edible Gardening 9 04-06-2010 09:41 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
RECLAIMING A TANK FROM ALGAE Greg Dalton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 06-03-2004 06:10 PM