GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Favorite daylilly sources? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/86473-favorite-daylilly-sources.html)

Doug Kanter 15-11-2004 04:02 PM

Favorite daylilly sources?

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion" for next season. Variety aside,
can anyone recommend a source or two for daylillies? Someone you've found to
be dependable?

IntarsiaCo 15-11-2004 05:14 PM

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion"

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/hype.html

Cheryl Isaak 15-11-2004 05:49 PM

On 11/15/04 11:02 AM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion" for next season. Variety aside,
can anyone recommend a source or two for daylillies? Someone you've found to
be dependable?

I'd head to Oakes or Olallie for Hyperion.

Cheryl

Richard 16-11-2004 03:10 AM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion" for next season. Variety
aside, can anyone recommend a source or two for daylillies? Someone
you've found to be dependable?

Sam Hill Gardens in Malcolm, NE carries Hyperion

http://www.samhillgardens.com/

They start taking orders in April. I've purchased both bare root divisions
and potted plants from them and have never been disappointed.

Richard

Pam - gardengal 16-11-2004 05:27 PM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion" for next season. Variety

aside,
can anyone recommend a source or two for daylillies? Someone you've found

be dependable?

Have you tried a Google search? 'Hyperion' is a classic and should be
available through most mail order vendors, of which there are dozens that
specialize in daylilies. B&D Lilies, Oakes Daylilies, Daylily Paradise,
etc. Do a check with the Plants by Mail FAQ to confirm dependability and
customer service. FWIW, 'Hyperion' is common enough that it should be
available in local garden centers and nurseries in season, as well.

pam - gardengal

Doug Kanter 16-11-2004 05:55 PM

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion" for next season. Variety

aside,
can anyone recommend a source or two for daylillies? Someone you've

found
be dependable?

Have you tried a Google search? 'Hyperion' is a classic and should be
available through most mail order vendors, of which there are dozens that
specialize in daylilies. B&D Lilies, Oakes Daylilies, Daylily Paradise,
etc. Do a check with the Plants by Mail FAQ to confirm dependability and
customer service. FWIW, 'Hyperion' is common enough that it should be
available in local garden centers and nurseries in season, as well.

pam - gardengal

I'm having no trouble finding that variety. But, after reading a few horror
stories here about certain dealers shipping mislabeled plants, I'm looking
for recommendations on specific companies.

Bobby Baxter 16-11-2004 06:28 PM

I have to recommend Daylily.Net at http://daylily.net

Here you will find links to over 100 daylily specialty nurseries and I
personally know owners of the the majority of them. I have also conducted
business with each one of them.

The newest site to be update from the Daylily.Net membership is Christies'
Daylilies at http://dixondelights.com and you will find some remarkabley low
prices for fantastic cultivars.

If you wish to be notified whenever a new site or an updated member site of
Daylily.Net occurs then sign up for the free email bulletin at the bottom of
the Daylily.Net homepage (http://daylily.net).

Bobby

--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
Happy Moose: http://happymoosegardens.com

We specialize in designing web sites for plant lovers!
daylilies, hostas, irises, orchids, cacti, perennials, etc.

Auntie Em 25-11-2004 08:33 AM

On 15 Nov 2004 17:14:09 GMT, (IntarsiaCo) wrote:

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion"

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/hype.html

Jimminy! A company that just sells Daylillies and nothing else? I
can't believe it. Is there THAT big a market for them?

Em
Be careful what you wish for....

Cheryl Isaak 25-11-2004 01:35 PM

On 11/25/04 3:33 AM, in article ,
"Auntie Em" wrote:

On 15 Nov 2004 17:14:09 GMT,
(IntarsiaCo) wrote:

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion"

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/hype.html

Jimminy! A company that just sells Daylillies and nothing else? I
can't believe it. Is there THAT big a market for them?

Em
Be careful what you wish for....

There are 100's of them around the world!

Cheryl

Doug Kanter 25-11-2004 03:20 PM

"Auntie Em" wrote in message
On 15 Nov 2004 17:14:09 GMT, (IntarsiaCo) wrote:

I need to find a daylilly called "Hyperion"

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/hype.html

Jimminy! A company that just sells Daylillies and nothing else? I
can't believe it. Is there THAT big a market for them?

Haven't you ever pulled off a country road to buy corn from someone who
apparently grows and sells just corn? :-)

Bill Spohn 25-11-2004 05:17 PM

Jimminy! A company that just sells Daylillies and nothing else? I
can't believe it. Is there THAT big a market for them?

Have a look at http://www.beachwooddaylily.com/

Being in Canada, it is probably too much hassle to order from them if you are
in the States, but the picture gallery and infomation may be useful. Great
people, too.

StanB 25-11-2004 05:55 PM

"Auntie Em" wrote in message

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/hype.html

Jimminy! A company that just sells Daylillies and nothing else? I
can't believe it. Is there THAT big a market for them?

It's a big country.

Pen 25-11-2004 08:15 PM

Buying local is better than mail order, you can get bigger roots with
more buds. I think tissue cultured daylilies are just a bad as
mislabeled, so check if the growers sell those.

Doug Kanter 26-11-2004 03:07 PM

I always try to do that. It's getting harder, though, unless one wants to
drive all over the county. Why? Because even some of the best nurseries have
been afflicted with teenage retail syndrome: The counter help has no
initiative, no common sense, and no manners. So, calling on the phone means
being put on hold and forgotten. Used to be you could call these places and
get an adult who, if busy, would take your name & number and call you back
about whatever you were looking for, but no more.

OK...I'm done bitching.

om...