Old 15-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Barbecued Squirrel

The squirrels have figured out which of my bulbs were the most expensive, or
hardest to find. This was not unexpected. It's just more annoying than usual
today. This is war!

Barbecued Squirell
Source: "L.L. Bean Game & Fish Cookbook", by Angus Cameron & Judith Jones

2 dressed squirrels, cut in serving pieces
3/4 cup red wine
1 cup water
salt & pepper
2 bay leaves
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1-1/2 to 2 cups BBQ sauce

In a kettle, boil, then simmer the squirrel pieces in the wine & water with
the rest of the ingredients except BBQ sauce. Cook covered for about an
hour. Remove pieces, place in a baking dish, and cover with the sauce. Bake
in preheated 300 degree oven for another 45 minutes.

The same book also suggests:
Brunswick Stew
Squirrel Stroganoff with Mushrooms, Onions & Sour Cream
Squirrel Stew with Black Olives
Squirrel in a Clay Pot (Slow-cooked with ham & herbs)
Squirrel Braised in Sauerkraut
Squirrel Cobbler
Squirrel Cacciatore

Old 15-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Bill Spohn

Squirrel Cobbler

Squirrels have pretty small cobblers - wouldn't it take a lot of them to make a
meal.......?
Old 15-11-2004, 11:11 PM
DavesVideo

Doug Kanter said:

Holy smokes! Where was THAT discovered? I mean....where is squirrel popular

enough as a food source? :-)

Well when I was a kid in New York, we ate a lot of squirrel. My favorite was
squirrel stew. Quartered and cooked a long time with the normal stew
vegetables. Allow between one and two squirrels per person. Yum, and it does
not taste like chicken.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 16-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Dan

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:38:50 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

The squirrels have figured out which of my bulbs were the most expensive, or
hardest to find. This was not unexpected. It's just more annoying than usual
today. This is war!

And its all muscle. Basically they have a 100% protein diet (nuts,
birds eggs, etc.) and climb "mountains" (trees) all day.

Dan

Old 16-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Bill Spohn

A very quick squirrel fricasse can be prepared by enticing the tree
rats to bridge the gap between terminals on power transformers.
2,200 volts does the trick every time.

Yes, but it must be hard to get an even job - 'Damn, burnt on the outside, raw
on the inside again, Martha"

Old 16-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Keith Nuttle

When I was growing up in northern Indiana, my grandfather hunted
squirrel all of the time. My grandmother would cook it and serve it for
dinner.

During the time that I was in eastern Carolina I would look at the Gray
squirrels and wander how they would make a meal. Now after moving back
to Indiana and seeing the red squirrels, it is obvious.