GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is it classified as a weed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/86916-classified-weed.html)

Faye 26-11-2004 01:24 AM

Is it classified as a weed?

I have found out the name of a plant (thanks to you guys) that I want
to put in my garden, however, it seems that it might be classified as
a weed in some parts of the world. How do I go about finding out
information about these sort of classifications. I am in Adelaide
Australia.
Yes, the plant was Silene Maritima Otheriwse known as Sea Camion, or
CATCH FLY.

Faye.
P.S. Thank you for the previous replies.

Cereus-validus... 26-11-2004 03:03 AM

A weed is simply any plant that grows where you don't want it. If you plant
Silene maritima (= Silene uniflora)(a.k.a. Sea Campion (note spelling)) in a
spot where it has room to run and keep it under control, it would not be a
weed.

http://www.plant-identification.co.u...e-uniflora.htm

The species is widespread and variable in the Old World flora and has been
divided into a number of subspecies, some of which have a much less weedy
tendency than others. The ssp. found in mountainous regions are probably
less weedy than the coastal ones.

http://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/cgi-bin/...REF= uniflora

The variegated cultivar Silene uniflora 'Druett's Variegated' is especially
slower growing.

om...

Frogleg 26-11-2004 10:19 AM

On 25 Nov 2004 16:24:16 -0800, (Faye) wrote:

I have found out the name of a plant (thanks to you guys) that I want
to put in my garden, however, it seems that it might be classified as
a weed in some parts of the world. How do I go about finding out
information about these sort of classifications. I am in Adelaide
Australia.
Yes, the plant was Silene Maritima Otheriwse known as Sea Camion, or
CATCH FLY.

The definition of 'weed' is often more philosophical than precise. In
a local sense, it's something that grows where *you* don't want it,
and usually is hardy and reproduces prolifically. However, in the US,
Federal and state agriculture departments classify certain plants as
"noxious weeds" or "invasive species" that are problems for either
crops or urban/suburban landscapes. You should check with your own
country's agricultural department(s) for their classifications.

Christopher Green 26-11-2004 09:27 PM

On 25 Nov 2004 16:24:16 -0800, (Faye) wrote:

I have found out the name of a plant (thanks to you guys) that I want
to put in my garden, however, it seems that it might be classified as
a weed in some parts of the world. How do I go about finding out
information about these sort of classifications. I am in Adelaide
Australia.
Yes, the plant was Silene Maritima Otheriwse known as Sea Camion, or
CATCH FLY.

Faye.
P.S. Thank you for the previous replies.

Silene maritima is not considered a noxious weed anywhere I know of.

Its relatives are the troublemakers: S. noctiflora (Night-Flowering
Catchfly) and S. latifolia (White Cockle). These are considered
noxious in some parts of the northern tier of the US and in many
provinces of Canada. (One implication of a noxious-weed designation is
that landowners are required to abate any such plants found on their
land.)

--
Chris Green

culprit 27-11-2004 02:08 AM

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. com...
A weed is simply any plant that grows where you don't want it. If you plant
Silene maritima (= Silene uniflora)(a.k.a. Sea Campion (note spelling)) in
spot where it has room to run and keep it under control, it would not be a
weed.

http://www.plant-identification.co.u...e-uniflora.htm

The species is widespread and variable in the Old World flora and has been
divided into a number of subspecies, some of which have a much less weedy
tendency than others. The ssp. found in mountainous regions are probably
less weedy than the coastal ones.

hey, cool. that pretty wild flower on the edge of my lawn is Silene Alba.
i had been trying to figure out what it was.

yes, it's probably a weed, but it's quite nice looking, and doesn't seem
terribly invasive. it's quite pretty in wildflower bouquets.

-kelly

PNW, zone 8

raycruzer 15-01-2005 08:52 PM

A listing of noxious weeds databases on the web can be found at the
World of Weeds www.ergonica.com. Many of these resources include
images to help identify the weeds. Most of these lists are regional in
the United States, although there are also references for Austalia.