GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Indoor Palm Plant Problem Help!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/87232-indoor-palm-plant-problem-help.html)

Willy 03-12-2004 02:34 AM

Indoor Palm Plant Problem Help!!

I have a palm (dont know what kind) large fan leaves 7-8' that I
brought in for the winter, I supplement the low light levels with a
150 watt dayspot grow bulb, I also keep a humidifier in my living room
due to statis and dryness in the winter, anyway, all of the sudden
there is a white almost powders but kind of small rice looking stuf on
the leaves, I decided to wipe off the leaves with water and found that
its all over the palm even in the trunk areas?

Should I get a fungicide for indoor plants and wipe off with soapy
water what I can then use the fungicide with giving it less water??
Please help, this is my only and favorite plant.

Thanks,
Willy

Ricky 03-12-2004 10:38 AM

"Willy" wrote in message
om...
I have a palm (dont know what kind) large fan leaves 7-8' that I
brought in for the winter, I supplement the low light levels with a
150 watt dayspot grow bulb, I also keep a humidifier in my living room
due to statis and dryness in the winter, anyway, all of the sudden
there is a white almost powders but kind of small rice looking stuf on
the leaves, I decided to wipe off the leaves with water and found that
its all over the palm even in the trunk areas?

Should I get a fungicide for indoor plants and wipe off with soapy
water what I can then use the fungicide with giving it less water??
Please help, this is my only and favorite plant.

What you've got is probably mites. Take the plant back outside and wash it
off with a garden hose. Then make up a soap solution using real soap not
dish detergent and add to it a cup of garlic powder. Use a sponge and wash
the remaining bugs off the fronds and trunk. This is not a permanent
solution to the problem and will probably have to be repeated once or twice
while the palm is indoors. The rain washes mites off the palm while it's
outdoors and there's, hopefully, no rain in your house.

[email protected] 03-12-2004 07:14 PM

What you've got is probably mites. Take the plant back outside and wash it
off with a garden hose. Then make up a soap solution using real soap not
dish detergent and add to it a cup of garlic powder. Use a sponge and wash
the remaining bugs off the fronds and trunk. This is not a permanent
solution to the problem and will probably have to be repeated once or twice
while the palm is indoors. The rain washes mites off the palm while it's
outdoors and there's, hopefully, no rain in your house.

Dust some of the white spots onto dark paper. If they move, they are
insect or mites. If it is too cold outside, try putting the palm in
the shower inside the house to wash it. Water temperature can be
regulated as well as the temperature of the room.

Willy 03-12-2004 07:38 PM

Yup, Meal mites. I spoke to local nursery and they said to drag it
outside and wash off the mites, then treat with orto isotox, repeat in
10 days and get a good insecticide for the soil as well.

Thanks for the help everyone.

-WL