Old 06-12-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Where to Find Sub-New-Groups Under rec.garden in Google?

I use Google as a way to get access to newsgroup. Normally, when I want
to get access to the sub-groups under rec.garden, I simply click at the
links to sub-groups shown in rec.garden page. Unfortunately, they seem
to have changed the news-group user-interface significantly. Now, I
don't know where to reach the sub-groups any more. How I can get back
to the links to sub-groups?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Old 06-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Warren

I use Google as a way to get access to newsgroup. Normally, when I want
to get access to the sub-groups under rec.garden, I simply click at
the
links to sub-groups shown in rec.garden page. Unfortunately, they seem
to have changed the news-group user-interface significantly. Now, I
don't know where to reach the sub-groups any more. How I can get back
to the links to sub-groups?

Try this link:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...s&prev=gardens

I don't like the changes they made, but then again I have a decade of
Usenet use under my skin. The organization of Usenet makes sense to me.
But on the other hand, the Internet now reaches people who don't always
think in the same way. The new Google interface probably makes things
more accessible to those folks.

I still see "beta" in the url, so maybe it won't go forward like that.
But if it does, I'd recommend using a nntp client, and forget about the
web interface unless you need to search archives.

BTW... the real hierarchy is rec.gardenS with an "s".

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
See the Christmas Lights:
http://www.holzemville.com/xmas2004/

Old 06-12-2004, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the link to Google Group Directory of rec.gardens. I find
the links and bookmark them.

Jay Chan

Old 06-12-2004, 09:10 PM

Not sure what is the proper term for that. What I meant by
"sub-groups" are the groups that share the same prefix (rec.gardens.*)
as this group.

Anyway, Warren H has shown me the link to Google Group Directory of
this group, and I can find all the links there. Seem like all I need
to know now is how to get to the Group Directory of a group.

Jay Chan