Old 06-12-2004, 05:58 PM

Default How to Get Access to Sub-Groups in rec.garden Using Google -- 2nd Try

I use Google as a way to get access to newsgroup. Normally, when I want
to get access to the sub-groups under rec.garden, I simply click at the
links to sub-groups shown in rec.garden page. Unfortunately, they seem
to have changed the news-group user-interface significantly. Now, I
don't know where to reach the sub-groups any more. How I can get back
to the links to sub-groups?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Old 09-12-2004, 05:17 PM

Had the same problem. Used the search bar for the sbject
I formerly visited, i.e. roses and orchids. Gave me a list
of postings. When I found one I recognized I visited there
and the former group list came up on the screen. I then
saved the group to my favorites and can go there directly.

Good tip. I will try that next time when I cannot find the
sub-newsgroups that I like to visit. Thanks.

BTW, I did like the old format better.

Yes, I also liked the old format better. But the new Google format
seems to allow messages to show up in the newsgroup faster than before.
Not sure if this has anything to do with the new format.

Jay Chan

Old 11-12-2004, 03:58 AM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:31:01 +0000 (UTC), Anon NoID
wrote:
BTW, I did like the old format better. The index on the side instead
of the top cuts down on the visibility of what I want to read

"frames" or "no frames" in googlese.

and I
haven't found a "next page" option at the end of a string to continue
reading the posts.

for a while now, we cna switch to google uk nz or other english (not google.com = USA google) to use "classic" google groups

but, in recent days google groups has been erratic. sometimes "sort by date" opens beta google. sometimes clicking on search
result opens in frame view, usually not. sometimes edited search phrase then clicking button opens beta, other times opens the
"calssic" good style.

Yes, I also liked the old format better. But the new Google format
seems to allow messages to show up in the newsgroup faster than before.
Not sure if this has anything to do with the new format.

seems more likley related to database (or whatever) management.

as someone else replied: if your ISP gives decent usenet access, use news reader sfotware. much faster.

News reader software is much better for day to day reading of
newsgroups, keeping up with topics, and general browsing, but for
googling you need to use google. I don't know of any other large
searchable news archive like this. If you don't use Google to search
the archives then a newsreader is much easier to use IMO.

I followed the contact link to complain about the changes, and
received a reply within 24 hours from Groups Beta Support. They gave
me the usual "your feedback is important to us" but also had a link
to a "Suggestion/Feature Request" and I was encouraged to communicate
improvements I thought were needed. I don't hold out much hope, and
the suggestions are probably sent right to the trash bin, but it's
worth a shot. Since I complained I may as well put in my suggestions.

Here's the link if anyone else wants to take the time:
http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/request.py

We'll probably get used to the changes soon enough.

Swyck