GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hibiscus, Zinnia and Gerbera Daisy Questions:) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/87472-hibiscus-zinnia-gerbera-daisy-questions.html)

junkyardcat 07-12-2004 07:26 PM

Hibiscus, Zinnia and Gerbera Daisy Questions:)

I accidentally left my potted Hibiscus outside and we had a freeze:( It is
all black and dried out looking...will it come back next Spring, or is it
doomed?

When the zinnias are done for the Summer, should I cut them back all the way
to the ground, or just deadhead them?

Same question with Gerbera (or is it Gerber) daisies...:)

I had a few Crossandra plants that got zapped by the freeze as well, but
from what I'm reading online, looks like they're a goner...guess I will just
keep the rest in pots and bring them inside for the Winter.

Thanks for any help...I've been gardening for years, but I'm still learning!

Angie

gregpresley 08-12-2004 06:16 AM

Hibiscus - doomed
zinnias - annuals - dead forever
gerbera - might come back from a freeze. should be brought into the house
and babied until the spring - but it likes cool temperatures in winter -
(55-60, not 75-85).

Hemmaholic 26-12-2004 09:18 AM

About that Hibiscus, it might not have been doomed. As long as the
root system wasn't severely damaged it could come back into growth.

I am assuming this is/was a Tropical Hibiscus. If you still have the
plant, prune it back, severely, to 8 - 12-inches above the soil like;
if it was branched, try to conserve some of the larger branches. Place
it in the brightest location possible and water only when dry to the
touch. If there is any life left in it, it will sprout new growth
within a few weeks. Once new growth has been initiated, begin watering
as needed to keep the potting mix evenly moist.
Hope this post isn't too late to help.

Hemma