Old 08-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Someone

Default the best mulch for zone 19

My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried a
google search and did not get too far. please help.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:46 PM
David Ross

Someone wrote:

My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried a
google search and did not get too far. please help.

I use fallen leaves to mulch my beds. I use them without chopping,
shredding, or composting. (But I also compost leaves.) The leaves
provide a cushion when it rains, keeping the soil from compacting.
In the summer, they keep the soil cool and moist. Evetually, they
form a compost (actually leafmold, which I think is better).

If your soil is really soggy, it might be clay. My soil is mostly
adobe clay, really heavy and sticky when wet. I broadcast a lot of
gypsum on the soil just before the rainy season (the "not so dry"
season here in southern California). It reacts with the clay to
make it somewhat porous, helping excess moisture to drain deeper.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 08-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Someone

David Ross wrote:
Someone wrote:

My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried a
google search and did not get too far. please help.

I use fallen leaves to mulch my beds. I use them without chopping,
shredding, or composting. (But I also compost leaves.) The leaves
provide a cushion when it rains, keeping the soil from compacting.
In the summer, they keep the soil cool and moist. Evetually, they
form a compost (actually leafmold, which I think is better).

If your soil is really soggy, it might be clay. My soil is mostly
adobe clay, really heavy and sticky when wet. I broadcast a lot of
gypsum on the soil just before the rainy season (the "not so dry"
season here in southern California). It reacts with the clay to
make it somewhat porous, helping excess moisture to drain deeper.

thank you very much. I think it is clay. It feels that way and it
packs down pretty badly. I am nervous about using leaves, the trees
seems like overgrown weeds next to the flowerbed I am working. Does
that matter?
Old 09-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Marley1372

the best mulch is the one that you like, that fits your budget, that is
available.

Toad
Old 09-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Travis

Someone wrote:
My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried a
google search and did not get too far. please help.

It is not a good idea to walk on or work your soil when it is soggy.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 09-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Dennis Hoy

Someone wrote:
My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried

google search and did not get too far. please help.

Can someone please tell me where is zone 19?????????

Old 10-12-2004, 03:18 AM
Someone

Dennis Hoy wrote:
Someone wrote:

My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried

google search and did not get too far. please help.

Can someone please tell me where is zone 19?????????

los angeles
Old 11-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Dennis Hoy

That's bullshit. You may be in zone 9, or even zone 10 (maybe), but
you sure aren't in zone 19. There is no zone 19.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Warren

Dennis Hoy wrote:
That's bullshit. You may be in zone 9, or even zone 10 (maybe), but
you sure aren't in zone 19. There is no zone 19.

There may be no USDA zone 19, but that doesn't mean there is no zone 19:

http://www.monrovia.com/MonroviaWeb.nsf/8c104835579b67e18825685f006acdf8/cb6449fed56a4706882569200080cd0c!OpenDocument

And I'll bet you make quite an impression of people with your ability to
drop some crude language at the drop of a hat.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Black & Decker Landscaping Tools:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker

Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 PM
IntarsiaCo

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Referen...mateZones.html

Sunset Zone 19 is in Southern California

Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 PM
GrampysGurl

That's bullshit. You may be in zone 9, or even zone 10 (maybe), but
you sure aren't in zone 19. There is no zone 19.

Try Sunset zones.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 PM
David Ross

IntarsiaCo wrote:

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Referen...mateZones.html

Sunset Zone 19 is in Southern California

The link you cite gives the following message:
"The page you requested is available only to magazine customers and
AOL members".

Old 13-12-2004, 03:12 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:57:45 GMT, "Warren"
wrote:

And I'll bet you make quite an impression of people with your ability to
drop some crude language at the drop of a hat.

Radio man got quiet!
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 13-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Christopher Green

Dennis Hoy wrote:
That's bullshit. You may be in zone 9, or even zone 10 (maybe), but
you sure aren't in zone 19. There is no zone 19.

There is in Sunset magazine's system, which is at least as well known
to gardeners in southern California. Sunset divides mild-winter areas
according to microclimate, because this can make a big difference in
growing plants sensitive to dry air or even slight frost.

[Briefly, zone 19 is a zone with air drainage (thus less frost than
adjacent zone 18) and little or no marine influence (thus hotter and
less humid than adjacent zone 20). It is an ideal zone for citrus and
other frost-sensitive heat-dependent plantings, more challenging for
drought-sensitive things like evergreen azaleas.]

--
Chris Green

Old 13-12-2004, 10:31 PM
paghat

In article .com,
"Christopher Green" wrote:

Dennis Hoy wrote:
That's bullshit. You may be in zone 9, or even zone 10 (maybe), but
you sure aren't in zone 19. There is no zone 19.

There is in Sunset magazine's system, which is at least as well known
to gardeners in southern California. Sunset divides mild-winter areas
according to microclimate, because this can make a big difference in
growing plants sensitive to dry air or even slight frost.

[Briefly, zone 19 is a zone with air drainage (thus less frost than
adjacent zone 18) and little or no marine influence (thus hotter and
less humid than adjacent zone 20). It is an ideal zone for citrus and
other frost-sensitive heat-dependent plantings, more challenging for
drought-sensitive things like evergreen azaleas.]

Sounds like a good zone to build a semi-shading pergola from which to hang
orchid cacti.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"