Old 16-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Betsy

Default tulip bulbs got missed

I live in Baltimore and I only planted half of my tulips. Is it too late?

Old 16-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Cereus-validus...

Too late for what?

You better plants them ASAP before it snows Sunday as predicted.

Old 16-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Vox Humana

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
I live in Baltimore and I only planted half of my tulips. Is it too late?

I once planted tulips on New Years Day. As long as the ground isn't frozen,
you can plant them. They will be worthless if you don't, so you have
nothing to lose by planting them.

Old 16-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Sterling

I've been trying to get the rest of mine in the ground here in Atlanta
but the ground has been too wet. Been raining here since September. I
planted the first bag - the rain started and it has not been dry enough
since! Very frustrating!!!

I am going to put them in pots with potting soil.

I read a very nice quote yesterday about how if one only works in the
garden when the wind and weather are kind, one will never master the
craft of gardening.

Down in the low 20s (at night) here is the sunny south. And WET! (Atlanta).

Old 16-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:58:19 -0500, Betsy wrote:

I live in Baltimore and I only planted half of my tulips. Is it too late?

As long as you can dig plant them!

Old 17-12-2004, 05:37 AM
Cereus-validus...

Hey Daddyo, can you dig it?

I knew that you could!!

news

Old 17-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Vox Humana -
I once planted tulips on New Years Day. As long as the ground isn't

frozen,
you can plant them. They will be worthless if you don't, so you have
nothing to lose by planting them.

- Nehmo -
I'm in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's December 17 (ground not frozen
yet). I'd like to know if it's okay to plant them even if they've
already sprouted. Are they still good? Will the ones that have sprouted
die over the winter?

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Old 17-12-2004, 08:57 AM
gregpresley

I know someone who went out into her garden in late december with a pot full
of boiling water to thaw the soil enough to plant some bulbs that she was
too late in getting out. Where there's a will, there's a way - and yes, her
tulips bloomed just fine that year.

Old 17-12-2004, 03:42 PM
John McGaw

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
- Vox Humana -

I once planted tulips on New Years Day. As long as the ground isn't

frozen,

you can plant them. They will be worthless if you don't, so you have
nothing to lose by planting them.

- Nehmo -
I'm in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's December 17 (ground not frozen
yet). I'd like to know if it's okay to plant them even if they've
already sprouted. Are they still good? Will the ones that have sprouted
die over the winter?

You certainly have nothing to lose by planting them. If you don't plant
them then you will have nothing to show for the investment unless you
are able to force them successfully indoors and I've never been able to
make it work with tulips for some reason. I'd plant them to the full
depth recommended and add a bit of loose mulch to the soil afterward.
I've gotten away with planting narcissus, crocus, buttercup, and
hyacinths in late December (in Knoxville, TN) and have had no more than
the expected losses.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 17-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
I'm in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's December 17 (ground not frozen
yet). I'd like to know if it's okay to plant them even if they've
already sprouted. Are they still good? Will the ones that have

sprouted
die over the winter?

- John McGaw -
You certainly have nothing to lose by planting them. If you don't

plant
them then you will have nothing to show for the investment unless you
are able to force them successfully indoors and I've never been able

make it work with tulips for some reason.

- Nehmo -
The the other options are to exchange the bulbs or, as you said, to
attempt inside-the-house blooming.

- John McGaw -
I'd plant them to the full
depth recommended and add a bit of loose mulch to the soil afterward.
I've gotten away with planting narcissus, crocus, buttercup, and
hyacinths in late December (in Knoxville, TN) and have had no more

than
the expected losses.

- Nehmo -
Actually, I'm doing a non-gardening building contract for a customer,
and the customer added-on this little planting job. I hired (for a day)
a girl, Jacky, who had the experience of having had worked at a retail
nursery for years. Jacky was _very_ knowledgeable, and she recommended
planting the un-sprouted emperors, but she said the small tulips, which
had sprouted, should go inside. Knowing very little on the subject
myself, I deferred to her. Now, after reading on the subject, I'll get
her back and have her plant them despite her opinion.

However, I'm still not sure. Jacky could talk forever on the subject of
planting bulbs. I may have her talk directly with the customer and take
myself out of the decision loop.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Old 17-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Vox Humana

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message

- Nehmo -
Actually, I'm doing a non-gardening building contract for a customer,
and the customer added-on this little planting job. I hired (for a day)
a girl, Jacky, who had the experience of having had worked at a retail
nursery for years. Jacky was _very_ knowledgeable, and she recommended
planting the un-sprouted emperors, but she said the small tulips, which
had sprouted, should go inside. Knowing very little on the subject
myself, I deferred to her. Now, after reading on the subject, I'll get
her back and have her plant them despite her opinion.

However, I'm still not sure. Jacky could talk forever on the subject of
planting bulbs. I may have her talk directly with the customer and take
myself out of the decision loop.

If the bulbs were not bought pre-chilled, they won't bloom if you bring them
inside unless you pot them and put them in the refrigerator for about 6
weeks. Simply bringing them inside would be worthless.

Old 25-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:56:07 -0500, Sterling
wrote:

I read a very nice quote yesterday about how if one only works in the
garden when the wind and weather are kind, one will never master the
craft of gardening.

Down in the low 20s (at night) here is the sunny south. And WET! (Atlanta).

And you were out in the garden, right? :-)
Old 26-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Hemmaholic

If you were not able to get your forgotten tulip bulbs in the ground,
you might want to consider potting them up and storing them in a dark
cold plsce for the next couple of months and try forcing them. Do a
google on "Forcing Tulips" to get more detailed information.

Hemma

Old 28-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Sterling

umm, yeah, right, of course!!

actually I would be out there planting the d**m tulips if it were not so
wet. It is futile to plant anything in mud...