Old 24-12-2004, 04:26 AM
Jim Carlock

Default Eating radish greens

Does anyone know if there's any problems related to eating
radish greens? Any poisonous types of radish greens or some
such? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a poisonous
radish green?

I've looked through Google and I see a ton of suggestions
to use radish greens on sandwiches, in salads with other
greens, sprinkled with grated cheese, etc.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 24-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Christopher Green

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 04:26:23 GMT, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

Does anyone know if there's any problems related to eating
radish greens? Any poisonous types of radish greens or some
such? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a poisonous
radish green?

I've looked through Google and I see a ton of suggestions
to use radish greens on sandwiches, in salads with other
greens, sprinkled with grated cheese, etc.

Radish greens are one of the many leaf vegetables used in Korean
cooking. They are definitely edible, like mustard greens only much
milder.

--
Chris Green
Old 24-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Ann

Christopher Green expounded:

wrote:

Does anyone know if there's any problems related to eating
radish greens? Any poisonous types of radish greens or some
such? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a poisonous
radish green?

I've looked through Google and I see a ton of suggestions
to use radish greens on sandwiches, in salads with other
greens, sprinkled with grated cheese, etc.

Radish greens are one of the many leaf vegetables used in Korean
cooking. They are definitely edible, like mustard greens only much
milder.

What's really good are the seedpods! Let a few radishes go to seed
and harvest the pods, they're great in salads.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 24-12-2004, 09:55 PM

Pick them young, the greens get coarse as they get older, use radishes
as row markers-they germinate fast.

Old 25-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Jim Carlock

Thanks for the replies and comments. I look forward
to more!

I've found an interesting page describing radishes.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/R/raph_sat.cfm

It identifies the radish as the most widely grown crop
in Japan, that radishes contain large amounts of diatase
which aids in the digestion of starches.

It also mentions that certain radishes grow to 60 pounds.
Fascinating!

Some radishes require a temp of 45 or lower before
seed pods form. So I'm not sure that these will grow
seed pods here in Tampa, Florida, where the average
annual temperature is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

That page indicates that radishes originated from charlock
which is grown in Europe and the UK, but then mentions
that Egyptians grew radish 3000 years before Christ. I
couldn't find any other references to an earlier use of the
crop. So I'm not sure what to make of that.

Found references to Athenians using radishes as
punishment for adultery... and references to Confucious
eating radishes.

Thanks and happy holidays!

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 25-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Robert Chambers

Jim Carlock wrote:

Found references to Athenians using radishes as
punishment for adultery... and references to Confucious
eating radishes.

I wonder where they put them as a punishment?!?!!??!

Old 25-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Ann

Frogleg expounded:

wrote:

Does anyone know if there's any problems related to eating
radish greens? Any poisonous types of radish greens or some
such? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a poisonous
radish green?

I've looked through Google and I see a ton of suggestions
to use radish greens on sandwiches, in salads with other
greens, sprinkled with grated cheese, etc.

Just trolling?

How was the question in any way trolling? Jim isn't a troll.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 26-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Frogleg

Frogleg expounded:

wrote:

Does anyone know if there's any problems related to eating
radish greens? Any poisonous types of radish greens or some
such? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a poisonous
radish green?

I've looked through Google and I see a ton of suggestions
to use radish greens on sandwiches, in salads with other
greens, sprinkled with grated cheese, etc.

Just trolling?

How was the question in any way trolling? Jim isn't a troll.

How could anyone say he saw many mainstream *recipes* for a food and
then ask if it were poisonous? I believe it's kinder to label the
poster as a troll than unbelievably, um, lacking in reasoning power.
Old 27-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Jim Carlock

I was going to go along with Frogleg's idea that I was
trolling. But I was thinking along the lines that I was using
Google as a trolling net to gather information, rather than
as an ugly creature waiting to lure little children into my
home.

The question is a legitimate question. I know nothing about
eating radish greens. I'm fairly new at messing with growing
various plants. I've had success with cucumbers, basil,
hungarian wax peppers and some cherry radish. I've failed
miserably with tomatoes, chives, onions, squash, pumpkins,
cabbage, lettuce and carrots.

Anyways, being that I'm ignorant about radish, it's an
appropriate question to ask. And YES, I was trolling through
Google looking for answers to my question, but I wasn't
satisfied and it is a very valid question. The trolling there
turned up some odd historical items, some amazing
information about 60 pound radish, some interesting facts
that radish are the MOST widely grown crop in Japan, and
some other interesting details that radish aid in the digestion
of starches.

If it disturbs someone, perhaps that one might want to talk
about what is so disturbing, perhaps a bad experience with
a radish? ;-)

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 27-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Cereus-validus...

That would fall under the topic of "soul food"!
Don't forget the bacon fat and ham hocks!!!

om...

Old 27-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know if there's any problems related to eating
radish greens? Any poisonous types of radish greens or some
such? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a poisonous
radish green?

I've looked through Google and I see a ton of suggestions
to use radish greens on sandwiches, in salads with other
greens, sprinkled with grated cheese, etc.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

The first time my neighbor ate them, he got a flat tire and his dog died.
I'd be very careful if I were you.

Old 27-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Cereus-validus...

The first time my neighbor ate them, he got a flat tire and his dog died.
I'd be very careful if I were you.

That sure is one severe case of flatulence!!!