Old 25-12-2004, 03:22 AM
DavidPT40

Default How long till my apple bushes sprout?

I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds. I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow? I
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early January.
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Thanks

Old 25-12-2004, 07:07 AM
sherwindu

Hi David,
Can you explain what apple bushes are? Apples grow on trees.

Also, if you expect the apples grown from seeds to taste anything like your
orginal apples, forget it. Don't get too attached to them, unless you want
just experiment to see what comes up. If you really want to grow the apples

you ate, you have to buy some scion (small branches) of the same variety and

graft them onto a rootstock, or buy a ready made tree of that variety.

Sherwin D.

Old 25-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Ann

"DavidPT40" expounded:

I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds. I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow? I
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early January.
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Thanks

Hey, Frogleg, now *this* is a troll.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 25-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"DavidPT40" wrote in message
I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds. I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow? I
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early

January.
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Thanks

It's a little hard to consider your post seriously unless you have never
attempted to grow anything before. First, apples grow on trees, not bushes,
and in most cases require at least two different kinds to produce fruit and
then only after the trees have matured to a certain degree. Planted seeds
obtained from apples can eventually develop into a tree but they will not
produce the exact same type of apple that you ate and they are unlikely to
be particularly desirable as an edible fruit.

I wouldn't look too hard for sprouts in January. Seeds planted in the garden
now may not sprout for many months, if at all, and may be easily overlooked
as a weed when they do. Would have been better to start them indoors now and
transfer to the garden once they had sprouted into a recognizable seedling.
Vinegar is not a fertilizer and depending on how much you applied, could
very well have eliminated any possibility of seed germination. Seeds need no
fertilizer to germinate - everything they need for growth is contained
within the seed to be utilized once it germinates. And I wouldn't worry too
much about piling snow around them to keep them from getting "too hot" - at
this time of year in north America that is hardly a concern.

If you want apples to eat and soon, you'd be much better off waiting until
apple trees are offered in area nurseries, typically in late winter or early
spring, and purchase one with either multiple cultivars grafted to it or two
separate trees of different kinds for cross pollination. Although it is
generally not recommended that you allow a newly planted tree to fruit its
first season, you could potentially have apples in the fall if you planted
one this spring.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-12-2004, 03:08 PM
madgardener

I just love these people who come on this newsgroup and attempt to be funny.
"DavidPT40" wrote in message
I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds.

Good thing you didn't eat those seeds, David. They have a little bit of
poison in them. Just a wee bit.....not much. It would take a LOT of apple
seeds to make you sick or kill you.................
I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow?

Well, depending on if you stratified them (nicking them or letting them pass
thru your digestive system, which means you woulda had to pawed thru your
feces to locate the seeds that have now been readied for germination)
they'll sprout as soon as they realize it's spring. Or maybe never, if they
realize this is a bullshit question..............
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early

January.
Ok, so if they sprout come springtime, you should have apples in
say............seven years. Or eight depending on if you accidentally whack
the sapling with a weed whacker.........
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Good deal. I hope you used cider vinegar. And the snow will actually help
those poor little things. I suggest you try again. Eat a Granny Smith apple,
and when you feel the urge to go, go outside, make a hole in the snow and
take yourself a good dump. Then cover the dump with the soil and snow and
get back to us when those seeds sprout come spring thaw.
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountian in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Thanks

Old 25-12-2004, 08:05 PM
sherwindu

Hi Larry,
How does one distinguish from a real novice, and a nasty troller.
True, his question
was naive, but certainly not malicious. As regards trolls, what
motivates these people
to put out their junk, in the first place?

Sherwin D.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

In article Z15zd.808855$8_6.794508@attbi_s04,
says...
I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds ...

do NOT feed the trolls - it makes them grow.

Old 25-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Christopher Green

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 03:22:33 GMT, "DavidPT40"
wrote:

I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds. I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow? I
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early January.
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Thanks

Apples grown from seed -- if you get them to sprout; some are sterile
-- will not breed true. If you succeed, you will end up with a large
cumbersome tree that will take several years to come into production,
and the most likely outcome is that it will produce useless crab
apples.

If you want apples in a hurry, go to a nursery as soon as bare-root
apples are available in your area, and get a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree
of a variety you like. (Especially if your neighbors do not grow
apples, get two trees, as you get a better crop when different
varieties cross-pollinate.)

--
Chris Green

Old 26-12-2004, 12:52 AM
madgardener

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Hi Larry,
How does one distinguish from a real novice, and a nasty troller.
True, his question
was naive, but certainly not malicious. As regards trolls, what
motivates these people
to put out their junk, in the first place?

Sherwin D.

it gives them power if we give it to them to disrupt the harmony of the
newsgroup same as disgruntles tend to stir up trouble in life. Nothing can
truely sometimes remain just nice and chatty. There's always SOMEONE who
can't stand to see people getting along..........but rather than feeding the
troll, I merely responded to the "question" with my own sarcasm.......g
and now, happy Boxing day to you and I'll slip back in to the foliage to see
what else comes up
madgardener

Old 26-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Frogleg

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:51:18 -0500, Ann wrote:

"DavidPT40" expounded:

I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds. I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow? I
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early January.
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Hey, Frogleg, now *this* is a troll.

I think trolling is a little more subtle. This is just a dumb joke.

Old 26-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Ann

Frogleg expounded:

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:51:18 -0500, Ann wrote:

"DavidPT40" expounded:

I was eating some apples the other day and I saved the seeds. I planted
them in my garden a few days ago. How long till my apple plants grow? I
really want some apples soon, hope my apple bushes sprout in early January.
I fertilized them with some vinegar and put some snow around them to keep
them from getting too hot.

Hey, Frogleg, now *this* is a troll.

I think trolling is a little more subtle. This is just a dumb joke.

You obviously don't know what a troll is. A troll asks a question
solely to incite. This is a classic example. Jim's query wasn't to
incite, it was perhaps a dumb question.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 26-12-2004, 05:56 PM
MLEBLANCA

How does one distinguish from a real novice, and a nasty troller.
True, his question
was naive, but certainly not malicious. As regards trolls, what
motivates these people
to put out their junk, in the first place?

Trolling is a way of fishing, by trailing the lure thru the water and seeing
what rises to the bait. Trolling is posting the "bait" and waiting for a
response. There seem to be 2 types: the humorous and the malicious.
Humorous kinds can be fun. Also remember the time of year: i'ts Winter break,
all those young'uns are out there with nothing better to do. :^)
Then there are the pot stirrers, who like to see what trouble can be made among
the regular posters.Sometimes it's difficult to spot 'naivete' vs 'humor'.

Emilie

Old 27-12-2004, 01:18 PM
DavidPT40

I apologize. I showed my young son how to post messages in the newsgroups
and aparently he posted a question in this gardening newsgroup (which I read
from time to time).

Old 27-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/27/04 8:18 AM, in article YYTzd.26164$k25.17315@attbi_s53, "DavidPT40"
wrote:

I apologize. I showed my young son how to post messages in the newsgroups
and aparently he posted a question in this gardening newsgroup (which I read
from time to time).

Hey - don't worry about it too much!

Cheryl