GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Conifer winter propagation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/88163-conifer-winter-propagation.html)

raresh 30-12-2004 11:14 AM

Conifer winter propagation

Is it possbile to propagate conifers (like Picea Abies) with cuttings
in the winter?
I use a heated indoor propagator. Is there a problem because the plants
are dormant this time of year? I am in zone 5, Europe.
I appreciate any help!

Yhank you!

Stephen Henning 30-12-2004 02:52 PM

"raresh" wrote:

Is it possbile to propagate conifers (like Picea Abies) with cuttings
in the winter?
I use a heated indoor propagator. Is there a problem because the plants
are dormant this time of year? I am in zone 5, Europe.

If you do a google search of ["Picea abies" cuttings propagation] you
will get 763 articles.

They recommend either of two rooting procedures:

1) rooting cuttings of mature terminal shoots in September or October in
a cold frame.

2) rooting cuttings of soft to semi-ripe wood early in early summer in a
cold frame. A slow but sure method.

Picea abies is a species that if you root a lateral shoot, you will get
a bush that may eventually get apical dominance and become a tree. If
you root a terminal shoot, you will get a tree.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman