GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bamboo Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/88256-bamboo-question.html)

mary 01-01-2005 09:21 PM

Bamboo Question

I was participating in the Christmas bird count when walking near the edge
of a cemetery, I saw a stand of bamboo. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we
have had temperatures a number of times around 5 degrees f. The bamboo was
green. It was located in an area where a lot of stuff appeared to be dumped.
Maybe someone placed bamboo at a grave, and the caretakers removed it, and
then dumped it there. I pulled off a section, and brought it home. I stuck
it in a pot with soil inside my house. Do I need to do anything else in
order for it to grow?

thanks

Tom

[email protected] 01-01-2005 09:52 PM

Most likely the variety of bamboo you encountered will not propagate
from any above ground parts. You will need a length of rhizome with
viable buds with or without a culm (cane).

[email protected] 01-01-2005 09:52 PM