Old 02-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Travis

Default Okay, I now yearn for more formal borders

escape wrote:
Today I gardened all day. It was 82 sunny degrees. I had tons of
ornamental grasses to cut down and they were everywhere. The front
garden is such a big mish mash of things I am truly wanting to
formulate a design and make it a bit more permanent. I want open
spots to change perennials around and use annuals as I seasonally
change the beds, but this constant upkeep is getting tiresome. I
never gardened neatly. It's not me. However, I find by letting
the front yard become too wild, the neighbors may not share my
sense of style and I think it's unfair to them. The back garden is
mine to do what I want, but in the front I really do need to get
something more foundational and sturdy boned.

So, since design is my worst or least known subject, can anyone
recommend any shrubs which will have vast differences in color,
texture and height which will thrive in very hot Texas summers,
with little water in blazing sun? I want plants to have different
foliage colors, possibly evergreen...anyone?

Native plants will be your best bet.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Pam - gardengal

"escape" wrote in message
[...]

Victoria

Happy new year, Vic! I should think that any zone 8 xeriscape plant would
work for you.......rosemary, santolina, salvias, lavenders, etc. Also found
this site which offers a pretty extensive list of xeric shrubs (and other
plants) suitable for your area:
http://www.sanantonio.gov/dsd/pdf/udc_appendixE_04.pdf

pam - gardengal

Old 03-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Celeste Evans

In article , escape
wrote:

[...]

When you think formal think in twos. A pair of shrubs flanking the
front door, Like those tall skinny youpons I can never remember the
name of. Then carry on with two similar plantings on both sides. Maybe
two really good looking pots with whatever repeated, but not
necessarily exactly the same. Keep the bed lines simple. Oval lawn area
is always good. Limit the colors to just a few different colors in
bloom at a time. A unifying color helps. White is classic. Lots of
local shrubs to choose from that bloom at different times of the year.
Just keep the main blooming color the same. Orchid tree and white
boneset come to mind right off. If you have enough sun a white antique
rose or two. White lantana. Then decide on a color for the different
seasons if you want a lot of change. Maybe blue in spring, purple in
summer, yellow in fall. Lots of red berries to have in the winter.
Choose what you like it can change every year if you want. Repeat the
same plants a lot. With the foliage think about texture. Mix in some
grasses like blue muhly. Rosemary gives great blue color and texture.
Aster frikari(sp?) Has good red foliage in the winter. Just think about
the different seasons. And don't have too many different plants. Repeat
your choices to unify the beds. A specimen plant or two can really make
an area glow. Find combinations that you like and repeat them. There
are lots of good books out there. But it is probably stuff you already
know. Just think about it a little differently.

Cea