Old 05-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Bill Litchfield

Default Best varieties of kale and best Romaine for cold northern climates in Autumn?

"Betty Lane" wrote in message

I live in a cold, cold, area of upstate New York, near BUffalo.

What do you find are the best varieties of kale and Romaine lettuce,
particularly Romaine that withstands frosts?

Thanks a lot.

My candidates a Redbor Kale, which actually gets sweeter after a good
frost, and Winter Density Romaine type lettuce.

Regards,
Bill

Old 09-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
"Bill Litchfield" wrote:

"Betty Lane" wrote in message

I live in a cold, cold, area of upstate New York, near BUffalo.

What do you find are the best varieties of kale and Romaine lettuce,
particularly Romaine that withstands frosts?

Thanks a lot.

My candidates a Redbor Kale, which actually gets sweeter after a good
frost, and Winter Density Romaine type lettuce.

Regards,
Bill

Get seed catalogs from Pinetree Seeds, Johnny's Seeds, Vermont Bean Seed
Co. and others in New England, and you'll find wonderful short-season
varieties. Lots of Alaskans order seeds from those companies.

We grow a red Russian kale up here that thrives. We kick the snow off of
it and harvest it.

If you can ever get to the beach after a good windstorm, haul every bit
of seaweed you can carry home, and just lay in on your garden beds (in
the off-season). Seaweed lowers the temps that frost will hurt/kill your
plants. I don't know why, but it works. Or use those seaweed fertilizers
that you can buy on your plants.

And there's always Remay and PVC pipe half-hoop frames...

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3/4, depending on who you ask