GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Speaking of Prickly Pear Cactus... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/88832-speaking-prickly-pear-cactus.html)

pixi 16-01-2005 12:33 PM

Speaking of Prickly Pear Cactus...

Believe it or not we have plenty of prickly pear cactus in West Virginia.

How do you get rid of it? Digging it out is so much work and weed killers
simply do not work. The U.S. Agriculture people said to sprinkle it with
lime. Ha!! That didn't work either.

I think that no one ever told them that most of the soil where cactus grows
is alkaline. Or am I wrong.

But again, how do you get rid of it?

David J Bockman 16-01-2005 01:46 PM

It's tough because any little bit you leave behind will sprout again-- I've
seen less-than-intelligent types down on the Outer Banks mowing down small
clusters of Prickly Pear thinking that they're eradicating the plant; in
fact they're propogating it, as every little chunk of leaf that lands will
in turn start rooting and begin another plant. If it were me, I would use a
weed torch and/or an herbicide like Brushbgone.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums