GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transplanting a Sweet Shrub... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/88911-transplanting-sweet-shrub.html)

[email protected] 19-01-2005 12:03 AM

Transplanting a Sweet Shrub...

Howdy all.

I have a Sweet Shrub(a.k.a Carolina Allspice) that I would like to move
to a different location.

Can anyone tell me if this plant will tolerate a move? I obtained the
plant from a sucker about two years ago. The plant is about 3' high and
is a vigorous grower.

I assume it can be transplanted without a problem, but I want to be
sure. I really like it and it's kinda a rare find for me, so I'd like
to have it around for awhile.

Info on plant he http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/550/index.html
Any help appreciated.
-Felder

Ann 19-01-2005 01:37 AM

expounded:

I assume it can be transplanted without a problem, but I want to be
sure. I really like it and it's kinda a rare find for me, so I'd like
to have it around for awhile.

You should have no problem at all moving it, just get a big enough
root mass and do it as early on as you can in the spring (depending on
where you're located). Around here the best time to move them is in
the fall, but spring will be ok, too.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Mike LaMana 19-01-2005 02:15 PM

I have moved some huge Calycathus (Carolina allspice) - some with rootballs
8' in diameter. These large ones all did fine, but did stool heavily from
the base. In 2 years time, though , you'd never have been able to tell.
--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Consulting Forester & Arborist

oups.com...