GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   miracle grow garden weed preventer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/89060-miracle-grow-garden-weed-preventer.html)

Me 22-01-2005 05:37 AM

miracle grow garden weed preventer

My annuals often get taken over by weeds so i decided to try this product.
I've read through the documentation, but can't see any directions on how
often to use. Anyone use this product ?

Travis 22-01-2005 08:09 AM

Me wrote:
My annuals often get taken over by weeds so i decided to try this
product. I've read through the documentation, but can't see any
directions on how often to use. Anyone use this product ?

Looking at the MiracleGro website I deduced that one application was
good for the season. ie: spring to fall.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Hal 22-01-2005 02:03 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:37:13 -0800, "Me" wrote:

My annuals often get taken over by weeds so i decided to try this product.
I've read through the documentation, but can't see any directions on how
often to use. Anyone use this product ?

Never used what is called a pre-emergent, which means it stops the
seed from sprouting and will do the same for your flower seed. I
think one must start the seed in planters and transfer them to the
ground later.
http://www.miraclegro.com/

Regards,

Hal

Henry Kuska 22-01-2005 10:01 PM

Since this product contains the same active ingredient as Preem, you may
find the following thread of interest:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...913628.html?21

--
Henry Kuska, retired

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/

vincent p. norris 23-01-2005 02:06 AM

That product will stop only seed germination. It will not prevent
perennial weeds.

A year or two ago I read of a product made from corn, completely
non-toxic, that would do the same thing, and would decompose into
Nitrogen (fertilizer).

I also read that Lowe's would be carrying it.

Anybody know the latest on that?

vince norris

Doug Kanter 23-01-2005 02:45 AM

"Henry Kuska" wrote in message
Since this product contains the same active ingredient as Preem, you may
find the following thread of interest:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...913628.html?21

Interesting thread, especially noticing all the people whose knees are
bothering them. Apparently, they've never seen this:

http://www.smithandhawken.com/jhtml/...PARENTCATID=16

I've been using one for years. It slices off weeds just below the surface. I
also had (but lost) a similar tool which had a horizontal knife instead of
the triangular blade on the Smith & Hawken tool. Both worked equally well,
but the S&H blade was easier to sharpen with a few passes of a medium stone.

figaro 23-01-2005 04:10 PM

It is corn gluten and I have used it once a couple of years ago when I was
putting plugs in a new lawn area for a friend. It worked fairly well and I
would use it again under the same circumstances. It was sold at an
independant nursery so I can't comment on its availabiity elsewhere.

From: Charles
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:53:28 GMT
Subject: miracle grow garden weed preventer

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:06:47 -0500, vincent p. norris
wrote:

That product will stop only seed germination. It will not prevent
perennial weeds.

A year or two ago I read of a product made from corn, completely
non-toxic, that would do the same thing, and would decompose into
Nitrogen (fertilizer).

I also read that Lowe's would be carrying it.

Anybody know the latest on that?

vince norris

I saw an ad for something called "Garden Bio-Film" which says it is
made from corn and other things.

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/G055.html

It's made by a corporation, so it must be bad.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

raycruzer 23-01-2005 06:36 PM

Long-handled hoe-blade tools work fine for smaller weed sprouts. Any
weed with roots deeper than 4-5 inches requires a different type of
tool, like the Ergonica Weed Twister www.ergonica.com with
double-coiled tines. This tool also works like a circle hoe, which is
popular in England. Perhaps it's a little more work than chemicals, but
it's better for the environment.