GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Filberts (Hazelnut) catkins opeining in NJ ... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/89062-filberts-hazelnut-catkins-opeining-nj.html)

Mike LaMana 22-01-2005 10:16 AM

Filberts (Hazelnut) catkins opeining in NJ ...

All: FYI I was going down the road in southern NJ on January 20 and noticed
hazelnuts shrubs with the male flowers (catkins) fully open! The trees in
the forest are still keeping their gametes close to the vest tho'

We has a few warm days and, although it is now 10 degrees F and we are
expecting a blizzard this weekend, I suppose that's all it takes. Gotta feel
bad for that poor pollen...it'll be hazardous wait. Shiver, shiver...
ML

--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Consulting Forester & Arborist

[email protected] 23-01-2005 03:16 PM

Same here in CT, now I can see them as the dark spots laying on top of
the snow drifts.

Ann Burlingham 27-01-2005 06:07 PM

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet writes:

All: FYI I was going down the road in southern NJ on January 20 and noticed
hazelnuts shrubs with the male flowers (catkins) fully open! The trees in
the forest are still keeping their gametes close to the vest tho'

i tried to tell the skunk cabbage in our swamp that sprouting in
december was a bad idea.