GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Looking for information on hostas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/89460-looking-information-hostas.html)

Linda 04-02-2005 06:24 PM

Looking for information on hostas

I would like to plant a small hosta garden this year (first time).

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this?

Thanks.

Cereus-validus..... 04-02-2005 06:46 PM

Have you considered putting it in the ground?

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

m...

Marcy Hege 04-02-2005 08:18 PM

Check out www.hostalibrary.org for all kinds of info on hostas.

Vox Humana 04-02-2005 08:44 PM

"Linda" wrote in message
m...
I would like to plant a small hosta garden this year (first time).

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this?

Hostas are very easy to grow. Where are you?

John Bachman 04-02-2005 08:54 PM

On 4 Feb 2005 10:24:37 -0800, (Linda) wrote:

I would like to plant a small hosta garden this year (first time).

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this?

Thanks.

My experience is that they are the easiest of all plants to grow. We
dug some up at The Big Kahunah's house and stuck 'em in the ground
here. Grow like crazy.

John

Newt 04-02-2005 10:16 PM

Hi Linda,
Not sure what you are asking here, but I'd say to add lots of compost, mix well and plant in shade. If you want design ideas you could go to www.google.com and put hosta in the search box and click on 'Images'. You'll get a lot of nice pics of combinations.

Some hints that might be helpful. The blue hostas hold their color better with very little or no sun. The golden hostas will usually tolerate more sun but are great for brightening up shady corners. The thicker leaved hostas resist slugs better. You should find these helpful as well as the one you were given by Cereus-validus.

http://hostafaq.westside.com/default.view
http://www.giboshi.com/

Newt