GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What will happen to my tomato plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/89719-what-will-happen-my-tomato-plant.html)

Suzie-Q 12-02-2005 04:10 AM

What will happen to my tomato plant?

Last spring I planted a tomato plant in a pot too late for it to
produce any fruit. A few months ago I brought it into the house
and put it in the laundry room with a flourescent light. It's doing
very well -- getting flowers on it and growing taller. Of course it's
not producing fruit.

What will happen if I take this plant outside in the spring and plant
it? Will it bare fruit, or just continue to grow without bearing
fruit?

Thanks in advance,
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Cheryl Isaak 12-02-2005 11:08 AM

On 2/11/05 11:10 PM, in article
, "Suzie-Q"
wrote:

Last spring I planted a tomato plant in a pot too late for it to
produce any fruit. A few months ago I brought it into the house
and put it in the laundry room with a flourescent light. It's doing
very well -- getting flowers on it and growing taller. Of course it's
not producing fruit.

What will happen if I take this plant outside in the spring and plant
it? Will it bare fruit, or just continue to grow without bearing
fruit?

Thanks in advance,

It should bear fruit if you take a fine paint brush and do a little hand
pollinating. Supposedly the folks at Disney do this in the hydroponics
garden.

They will, of course, be naked. You will have to dress them your self.

Cheryl

VMWOOD 14-02-2005 09:58 PM

The easiest way to produce fruit is to hand pollinate daily using an
electric toothbrush. I have 12 tomatoe plants in my greenhouse and 6 of
them are producing tomatoes. The other 6 are just starting to bloom.

Marv - Montezuma, IA

dps 15-02-2005 02:45 PM

Greenhouse tomato producers frequently just walk down the row and pluck
the strings that support the tomato plants. The vibrations are enough to
pollinate the flowers. No equipment required.