Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Charles Sullivan

Default What could be eating my pansies?

Location: Central North Carolina

I have several beds of pansies which are being nibbled
by some critter. Within a couple of days of initial
planting, all the blossoms were gone and signs of the
tips of the leaves being chewed were evident.

About 50% of the plants were replaced and sprayed with a
repellent which is supposed to be effective for rabbits
and deer (the latter unlikely in this neighborhood) but
the same thing happened to the replacements. The plants
aren't chewed down to the ground immediately but bit-by-bit
over the space of a couple of weeks.

I'd heard about a soil fungus which can attack pansies, so
I covered one bed with 0.5 inch mesh net supported on poles.
That one bed is in much better shape than the others, which
are by now chewed down almost to the ground.

I look out at the beds several times each day but never see
any critters about, not even birds on the ground. (I've got
a couple of potted sedums which were gradually pecked away by
birds over the summer.)

Any ideas?

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

Old 12-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Ann

Charles Sullivan expounded:

Location: Central North Carolina

I have several beds of pansies which are being nibbled
by some critter. Within a couple of days of initial
planting, all the blossoms were gone and signs of the
tips of the leaves being chewed were evident.

Sounds like a small animal, perhaps a bunny.

About 50% of the plants were replaced and sprayed with a
repellent which is supposed to be effective for rabbits
and deer (the latter unlikely in this neighborhood) but
the same thing happened to the replacements. The plants
aren't chewed down to the ground immediately but bit-by-bit
over the space of a couple of weeks.

I'd heard about a soil fungus which can attack pansies, so
I covered one bed with 0.5 inch mesh net supported on poles.
That one bed is in much better shape than the others, which
are by now chewed down almost to the ground.

Soil fungus don't have teeth ;-

I look out at the beds several times each day but never see
any critters about, not even birds on the ground. (I've got
a couple of potted sedums which were gradually pecked away by
birds over the summer.)

Get a dog.

Seriously, it sounds like some small animal is munching. The
repellant must be replaced every time you either water or it rains.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 12-02-2005, 09:27 PM
BillandJeny

It's too early in the year for catapillars. How about slugs? After
it gets good and dark go out with a flashlight and check your plants
and see if there are any critters having a banquet.

zhan
Old 12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Rabbits, deer, goats, whatever herbivores you have in your area.

You can be sure all the wild critters are very hungry this time of year and
they won't stick around when you are looking for them.

Put chicken wire cages over your plants.

news

Old 13-02-2005, 01:02 AM
sue and dave

sounds like slugs to me,
try the usual Sluggo, diatomaceous earth, beer traps.

Sue
Western Maine

Old 13-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Cereus-validus.....

What exactly do slugs sound like?

Do they emit some sort of ear splitting shriek when they feed?

Old 13-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Snooze

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
What exactly do slugs sound like?
Do they emit some sort of ear splitting shriek when they feed?

They sound like little chain saws.

Old 17-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Charles Sullivan

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't figured it
out yet, but I will.

[IMG] code is On

Snapdragons, Pansies Darby Wiggins Gardening 5 13-05-2012 08:45 PM
Rabbits are eating my pansies Haubarg Gardening 13 01-05-2004 03:02 PM
Winter flowering pansies. Ron United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 10:08 AM
Pansies In Distress Fleemo Gardening 7 01-02-2003 02:19 AM
Are my pansies diseased? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 17-12-2002 03:02 PM