GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ice Inside Planters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/90178-ice-inside-planters.html)

sherwindu 24-02-2005 07:14 AM

Ice Inside Planters

Seems like nobody in rec.gardens.edible either has the answers or wants
to take the trouble to answer, so I'm posting this again in this forum.

I buried several of my young trees in pots in my garden for the winter.
These are all plastic pots which have filled with the melted snow, to
the brim. With
the varying temperatures we are experiencing, some of this water has
refrozen. Will this ice layer atop the soil in any way harm the
plants? Should I make extra efforts to remove it?

Sherwin D.

Toni 24-02-2005 11:48 AM

"sherwindu" wrote in message
I buried several of my young trees in pots in my garden for the winter.
These are all plastic pots which have filled with the melted snow, to
the brim. With
the varying temperatures we are experiencing, some of this water has
refrozen. Will this ice layer atop the soil in any way harm the
plants? Should I make extra efforts to remove it?

Unless I am misunderstanding the situation these pots are full of standing
ice cold water that refreezes from time to time. The lack of drainage and
consistently cold wet roots would worry me as much as any ice. And to even
begin to comment on how much freezing they could tolerate we would want to
know the species of trees.

--
Toni
Zone 10

sherwindu 25-02-2005 05:31 AM

I hope the pots are not frozen completely. The idea of burying them in the
garden is to insulate them from the cold with soil. What I am seeing is the
top exposed part of the pots and probably just a layer of ice at the top
surface. These plants are mostly
young fruit rootstocks, which I will use for grafting next spring.

Sherwin D.

Brigitte 25-02-2005 06:18 PM

I see at least one reply to your question at rec.gardens.edible.