GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stately gardens in the US? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/90282-stately-gardens-us.html)

ant 27-02-2005 04:07 AM

Stately gardens in the US?

My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

ant

JonquilJan 27-02-2005 04:42 AM

Just off hand, can think of Longwood Gardens near Philadelphia Pennsylvania
and Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaguia New York. There is the lilac festival
in Rochester New York in the spring. There's also the Brooklyn Botanical
Gardens and the Bornx Botanical Gardens near the Bronx Zoo.

There are many, many more I'm sure.

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Play4abuck 27-02-2005 06:08 AM

"ant" wrote in message
My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous

gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

ant

This is not famous, but maybe worth your time if your in the area.

http://www.omahabotanicalgardens.org/

Omaha, NE

Cheers,
Jim

gregpresley 27-02-2005 08:26 AM

In Victoria British Columbia, the Buchart Gardens - in Mobile, Alabama,
Bellingrath Gardens - in Portland, Oregon, Rose Test Gardens and Japanese
Garden at the Washington Park Arboretum, Ohme Gardens (alpine flowers)
Wenatchee, Washington, Manito Park, Spokane, Washington, MaClay Gardens,
Tallahassee, Florida, Harry Leu Gardens, Orlando Florida, the Missouri
Botanical Gardens, Norfolk Botanical Gardens, Norfolk, Virginia, Winterthur
Gardens, Delaware, Golden Gate Park gardens, San Francisco, Magnolia
Plantation and Cypress Gardens, Charleston, South Carolina - these are
just a few of many large and beautiful public gardens in the US. If you're
going to tour, start with the southern gardens from late February through
mid-April, then wend your way to the mid-Atlantic, and/or the west coast for
April-May and to the Northwest for June/July.
Some of the above are associated with mansions and estates, others with
public parks.

Newt 27-02-2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ant
My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

ant

Hi Ant,

These links should be helpful.

Directories listing gardens:
http://dir.gardenweb.com/directory/d-cat_list.html
http://www.ilovegardens.com/index.html
http://www.gardenvisit.com/
http://www.botanique.com/

Individual gardens - some lesser known and some famous and all have formal gardens:
http://www.monticello.org/index.html
http://www.jmu.edu/madison/center/ma...montpelier.htm
http://www.lewisginter.org/
http://www.ahs.org/river_farm/index.htm
http://www.annapolis.org/paca.htm
http://www.fieldtrip.com/md/0a557957.htm
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Default.htm
http://www.chanticleergarden.org/index.html
http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/
http://www.winterthur.org/
http://www.bullishall.com/gardens.htm
http://www.biltmore.com/
http://www.ilovegardens.com/Louisian...na_gardens.htm
http://www.crt.state.la.us/crt/parks...n/rosedown.htm
http://www.ortongardens.com/
http://www.wfu.edu/gardens/
http://www.ortongardens.com/
http://www.brookgreen.com/
http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/
http://www.middletonplace.org/
http://www.longuevue.com/
http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?viewPage=TRUE
http://www.heritageroses.us/
http://www.hearstcastle.org/
http://www.demuth.org/18garden1.htm
http://www.demuth.org/garden.htm

Wish I could come along!! Have a great trip!
Newt

Mike Prager 27-02-2005 03:19 PM

ant wrote:

My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild
Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is
worth a visit.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Not exactly stately, but beautiful.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Vox Humana 27-02-2005 05:43 PM

"ant" wrote in message
My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous

gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC http://www.biltmore.com/

Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, GE http://www.callawayonline.com/

Kingwood in Mansfield, OH http://www.kingwoodcenter.org/gardens.html

White River Gardens, Indianapolis, IN http://www.indyzoo.com/

Park of Roses, Columbus, OH http://recparks.columbus.gov/Parks/Parks_4.asp

Winterthur, Winterthur, DE http://www.winterthur.org/

Primarily a huge conservatory with some gardens:
Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh, PA http://www.phipps.conservatory.org/

David J Bockman 27-02-2005 10:23 PM

For emulating the classic English landscape garden, consider Ney York's
Central Park. http://www.centralpark.org/

While in the city, you can also visit Wave Hill Garden.
http://www.wavehill.org/home/

And also a park considered by many to be Olmsted's crowned jewel, Prospect
Park. http://www.prospectpark.org

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Phisherman 27-02-2005 11:47 PM

One of the most impressive garden I know is "The Huntington Library"
in the LA area. It takes all day to see it and lots of walking. The
cactus garden is very impressive. Although there is an actual library,
the gardens are "stately." PBS produced a show about this garden.

David Ross 28-02-2005 12:49 AM

See my list at
URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/public_gardens.html.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.

ant 28-02-2005 02:57 AM

Wow! thanks for all those.

thanks for all these responses btw people, I'm looking at them all and
emailing them home (I'm currently in the US, she's at home in Oz, we are
thinking of doing this next season) so she can have a look. These gardens
are excellent, I'd been asking guests I teach skiing to about open gardens,
and htey all seemed puzzled and had no idea. Glad to see the US (and Canada)
are bursting with world-class gardens. Great websites, too!

ant

http://tinyurl.com/6x84y

http://tinyurl.com/5428x
http://tinyurl.com/3mlzj
http://tinyurl.com/2cusd
http://tinyurl.com/448x3
http://tinyurl.com/5tjp5
http://tinyurl.com/5xdt4
http://tinyurl.com/6ppl6

ant 28-02-2005 02:59 AM

"Mike Prager" §kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in message

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild
Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is
worth a visit.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Not exactly stately, but beautiful.

I was googling and did find this one. I have emailed the link, as I think
she might find it interesting. Look slike a really impressive place.

ant

ant 28-02-2005 03:04 AM

awesome, thank you all!
Just viewing the sites is fun. trouble is deciding to stay with the east, or
to get tempted by the other parts! Some really magnificent gardens here.

ant

Doug Kanter 28-02-2005 03:20 AM

"ant" wrote in message
My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous
gardens in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada
looks a more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in
these countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be
some.

ant

Longwood Gardens, Kennet Square PA is pretty amazing. You'll want to have a
little notepad in your pocket, and a lot of money to spend on plants when
you get home. Don't ask how I know this. :-)
www.longwoodgardens.org