GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fast Growing Screen (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/90300-fast-growing-screen.html)

[email protected] 27-02-2005 06:49 PM

Fast Growing Screen

Does anybody have suggestions on fast growing screens? I don't mind the
maintenace as long as it provides privacy and is attractive. I need
hedge to grow as quick as possible to hide my side yard from the
street. I live in zone 5, Columbus Ohio. My yard is full sun. Here
are some plants that I am interested in:

Golden Privet (How quick will these grow in)
Chinese Elm
Willow, Red Hedge
Autumn olive
Privet - Cheyenne

Thanks

Larry Blanchard 28-02-2005 05:00 PM

In article .com,
says...
Does anybody have suggestions on fast growing screens? I don't mind the
maintenace as long as it provides privacy and is attractive.

If you like gray-green foilage, Russian Olive is another alternative.
We planted 12" sticks (bought in a bundle of 100) and had a six foot
hedge in about 3 years. Does take a fair amount of pruning to hold it
back.

It even has thorns (mostly on the older interior growth) to serve as an
additional deterrent :-).