Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Earl

Default These trees quickly add privacy and a sound barrier (plantman article)

The Plant Man column
for publication week of 03/06/05 - 03/12/05
(732 words)
###

The Plant Man
by Steve Jones
www.landsteward.org

These trees quickly add privacy and a sound barrier

QUESTION: "I have two problems that I hope you can help me with. I
live in zone 4/5 and I am looking for a fast growing, sturdy tree or
hedge to plant at the back of my yard to provide privacy and a sound
barrier. What trees would you suggest? Would the cedar Green Giant be
a good choice? I also own 5 acres of waterfront property. I am
looking for a fast growing, sturdy tree or hedge that can provide
privacy and withstand some high winds. I would also like to plant some
nice hardwood trees on the property as well. Any help you can provide
would be greatly appreciated." – Brandon M. Adams

ANSWER: Yes, the Green Giants will grow in your region. They are fast
growing plants and should provide you with privacy in about 3 years.

For your waterfront property, you might consider the hybrid poplars or
hybrid willows for a fast growing privacy screen and plant other,
longer growing plants in the area. For a more natural look, plant
varieties of plants that are already growing on the property or on
neighboring property. Elm, Siberian peashrub and lilacs make nice
hedges with a natural look, also.

Trying to keep a natural look on the property would also hold down the
maintenance. To add a little "spice" you might plant some specimen
plants near the house. Suggestions: Forest Pansy redbud (which needs
full sun) or any of the other redbud varieties, dogwoods, hydrangeas,
dwarf bald cypress or Gold Leaf Dawn redwood. Hope this gives you some
food for thought!

QUESTION: "We recently logged off around our cabin which left us open
to the road in front. We have already replanted with red pine, but
would like to plant a border to shelter or block the view from the
road. Is there something that you would suggest that the deer wouldn't
just decimate immediately after planting?" – Joe Jett

ANSWER: Some deciduous plants that deer aren't fond of are barberry,
burning bush, green ash, forsythia, lilac, viburnum, ornamental
grasses and rosa rugosa. One evergreen that they don't care for is the
cedar Green Giant. The green giants would fully block the view from
the road. Just a reminder that planting oaks or other food-producing
plants will encourage the deer to come onto the property, so you still
run the risk of having them damage any type of planting, whether by
eating or stomping.

QUESTION: "I have two large pots on my front porch. Every year we have
been putting large ferns in the pots. I am ready for a change. What do
you have to plant or put in the pots that would look good inside the
pots? Something that is rather large or will become large. (But not
elephant ears!) Our front porch has limited shade. It faces north with
trees on the west side of the house. " – Walter Shepherd

ANSWER: Here are a few ideas: Ninebark Diablo, redbud Don Egolf,
trailing (creeping) redbud and hostas will work better in the shaded
area. The redbuds will grow a bit taller than the ninebark or hostas,
so it's just a matter of preference. You should take into
consideration what color your house is (as a background) and go from
there. For example, if it is a red brick, the Ninebark would visually
disappear!

QUESTION: "I have a problem area on the side of my house where grass
does not grow well. The area has a northern exposure and clay soil
with some tree roots too. Can you suggest a ground cover that would
work here?" – Corinne Crownover

ANSWER: You don't mention whether or not the area is shaded. Either
way, the hardiest groundcovers (in my opinion and experience) are
pachysandra, ajuga, vinca, corsican mint, golden thyme, and woolly
thyme. If you have decent drainage in this area, you could add some
sand to the clay soil and plant one of the thymes or the mint. They
don't like moist ground and will not do well if it stays wet. However
the pachysandra, ajuga and vinca are a little more forgiving in that
regard.

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to and for resources and
additional information, or to subscribe to Steve's free e-mailed
newsletter, visit
www.landsteward.org