Old 03-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Natty_Dread

Default No-sun foundation plantings for new home

Hi all -- I just relocated from the DC area to a brand-new home in Richmond,
VA (USDA Zone 7). There are no foundation plantings around this house and
I'd like to put some in when spring comes. However, the front of the house
faces north and gets no sun at all except at the fence line. Can anyone
give me some suggestions for foundation plantings that can tolerate full
shade? I'd like to put in some shrubs or something to decorate the front of
the house but I'm stumped as to anything substantial that might grow at
least 3' tall without some sun. The only planting in the front yard as of
now is a 15' magnolia tree.

Thanks in advance!

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
Zone 7

Old 03-03-2005, 06:08 PM
NoName

I don't have much time but you may want to check out this list of shade
loving plants for Zone 7. I found it at www.monrovia.com.
http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/All+Plants?SearchView&Query=(FIELD+ATTRIBUTES+CONT AINS+Shade+Loving)+AND+(FIELD+CZoneHigh=(7,8,9,10, 11))+AND+(FIELD+CZoneLow=(1,2,3,4,5,6,7))

Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
gregpresley

I would think lots of ferns would fit this decription. I'm not sure how many
are evergreen in your area, but there must be at least some.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
David J Bockman

Acuba japonica and all its lovely cultivars
Buxus sempervirens all its lovely cultivars
Cephelotaxus harringtonia and all its lovely cultivars
Euonymus alatus a.a.i.l.c.
Ilex cornuta
Ilex crenata
Nandinas
Pieris japonica
all the Taxus...

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[...]

[IMG] code is On

New Aspargus Plantings [email protected] Gardening 1 10-07-2007 04:02 AM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
new plantings-- cloudy water k conover Ponds 3 21-05-2004 04:21 PM
Sun Plants available to good home - trade for shade plants? Sonya North Carolina 0 07-05-2004 05:11 PM
How much water for new plantings? chirisophus Gardening 1 05-07-2003 06:20 AM