Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Default Fast sprouting seeds?

Hi all,

I have a project that I'm suppose to help some school children with
either this week or next.
Can some readers here suggest some seeds that are quick to germinate?
Time is an issue with this project...

TIA,
Jenn
--
ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Mikael

Many years ago, when I was in grade school, we always used Bean seeds. They
seemed to germinate quickly.
Mikael

Old 08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
zxcvbob

Jenn Vanderslice wrote:

Hi all,

I have a project that I'm suppose to help some school children with
either this week or next.
Can some readers here suggest some seeds that are quick to germinate?
Time is an issue with this project...

TIA,
Jenn

Radish, mung beans, rye grass. I'll think of some fast-germinating
flowers later.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 08-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Alan Sung

"Mikael" wrote in message
Many years ago, when I was in grade school, we always used Bean seeds.

They
seemed to germinate quickly.
Mikael

Lima beans work well. They're big too so the kids can see all the "parts".
They'll even germinate on a moist paper towel. The trick is to have a nice
warm constant temperature for speedy germination.

-al sung
Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

Old 08-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Bill R

Jenn Vanderslice wrote:

Hi all,

I have a project that I'm suppose to help some school children with
either this week or next.
Can some readers here suggest some seeds that are quick to germinate?
Time is an issue with this project...

TIA,
Jenn

Jenn,

Great project! There is nothing like teaching young
children about growing things.

Beans are usually a good thing to use and they usually
sprout within a week. If you soak them in warm water about
three hours before you plant them they sprout even quicker.
Radishes, Peas, and Onion Sets are fast sprouters too.

One teacher that I know uses sunflowers seeds and she does
her project in May so that the kids can start their seeds,
watch them grow for a few weeks, and then take them home and
plant them in the garden and watch them grow all summer.
Each fall her students from the past year bring her pictures
of the little sunflower they took home that grew to six foot
giants.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 08-03-2005, 05:29 PM
dps

I recommend radishes. You can go from seed to salad in 3 weeks.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:56 PM
VMWOOD

Marigold seeds germinate within a few days;
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Marv-Montezuma,IA

Old 10-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Steve

Basil.

-n-

oups.com...

Old 11-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Jenn Vanderslice

I'm assisting a small local school to help the students have plants to
show in this event:
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Seaso...FlowerShow.htm

It's about 7-8 weeks away (they're getting a late start...)

I appreciate everyone's help...

/J

Steve wrote:

Basil.

-n-

oups.com...

Moon Garden Blog: http://moongarden.tblog.com/

Old 11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered User

I'd go for sunflowers - nice fresh seeds will germinate in less than a week in warmth and light, and kids love the giant types. They're so cheerful and vibrant, and when the're starting out you can practically see them growing!

Best of luck.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Françoise

I have planted seeds of Hollyhock and Painted Daisy March the 7^th and
to day the 11^th , I saw that some have sprouted already.

Some of the seeds planted this year that have sprout in just a few days are

Seeds Planted sprouted
Echinacea 22-02-05 27-02-05
Jacob's Ladder 22-02-05 27-02-05
Begonia 16-02-05 26-02-05
Chrysanthemum 09-02-05 12-02-05
Gerbera 10-02-05 14-02-05
Heliotrope 22-02-05 27-02-05
Snapdragon 22-02-05 27-02-05

Françoise.

Jenn Vanderslice wrote:

I'm assisting a small local school to help the students have plants to
show in this event:
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Seaso...FlowerShow.htm

It's about 7-8 weeks away (they're getting a late start...)

I appreciate everyone's help...

/J

Steve wrote:

Basil.

-n-

oups.com...

Old 17-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Jeana

Someone is telling me they're going to start a raised bed veggie garden
with a load of compost. Not digging it in, just planting in compost.
When I said, get a soil test first, and you need to dig the compost in
etc..., he said I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong, but am I missing
something here with what he's doing?

Thanks, Jeana
Old 17-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Texas Tomatoes

As long as the compost is not hot it should be ok... some people start seeds
in compost. I dont do it this way. Id say get a soil test once a yr or when
starting a new area. Regardless of the test results...compost is good. If
the soil was less than ideal it would be reccomended to add compost.
newsEn_d.11657$ju.4985@okepread07...

Old 18-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Phisherman

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:37:44 -0500, Jeana wrote:

Someone is telling me they're going to start a raised bed veggie garden
with a load of compost. Not digging it in, just planting in compost.
When I said, get a soil test first, and you need to dig the compost in
etc..., he said I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong, but am I missing
something here with what he's doing?

Thanks, Jeana

I can't see where anyone is "wrong." Good compost alone has much
what's needed to make plants grow, but some plants will grow better,
have minerals available and have better support when the compost is
tilled into the ground. There are different kinds of compost--some
made entirely from animal manure, some from decayed vegetation matter.
Take a look at his garden mid-summer and let us know?
Old 18-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Jeana

Phisherman wrote:

I can't see where anyone is "wrong." Good compost alone has much
what's needed to make plants grow, but some plants will grow better,
have minerals available and have better support when the compost is
tilled into the ground. There are different kinds of compost--some
made entirely from animal manure, some from decayed vegetation matter.
Take a look at his garden mid-summer and let us know?

I will let you know. I think he's fairly new at this, but he does have a
plan. And I'm curious too.

Thanks