Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
ollysugar

Default No Daylight Whatsoever

My new home has a bathroom with no daylight at all, and I have very
little experience with house plants.
Can anyone recommend a plant that would survive or even thrive with
just artificial light? And would I need to get a special light? HELP!,
my bathroom looks really forlorn with no (other) life in it.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Don't even think about growing plants in the dark.

A bathroom is a bathroom and it can't possible look forlorn nor show any
other emotion.

If you really must, get flowered wall paper or hang a picture of a plant in
bloom.

oups.com...

Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps
Mushrooms do fairly well.
Cereus-validus..... wrote:
Don't even think about growing plants in the dark.
A bathroom is a bathroom and it can't possible look forlorn nor show any
other emotion.
If you really must, get flowered wall paper or hang a picture of a plant in
bloom.

"ollysugar" wrote in message
oups.com...

My new home has a bathroom with no daylight at all, and I have very
little experience with house plants.
Can anyone recommend a plant that would survive or even thrive with
just artificial light? And would I need to get a special light? HELP!,
my bathroom looks really forlorn with no (other) life in it.

Ignore these people. Yes, you can grow plants without natural light (just think of commercial cannabis growers). Bathrooms usually have higher humidity than other rooms in the house and most houseplants will flourish . Yes, you need special lights (ordinary lightbulbs offer too much heat and not enough light for plants). Use a fluorescent strip or bulb (I don't know about the wattage to use/distance it has to be from the plants, but I'm sure you can find this out elsewhere on the web/this forum). Put it on a timer so the plants get light for set number of hours. The problem is that the fluorescent light might not create a very welcoming ambiance in your bathroom, but who cares, when you'll have beautiful plants to look at?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Mushroom are no longer considered to be plants, Dipster.

Try again at being funny.

"dps" wrote in message
Mushrooms do fairly well.

Cereus-validus..... wrote:
Don't even think about growing plants in the dark.

A bathroom is a bathroom and it can't possible look forlorn nor show any
other emotion.

If you really must, get flowered wall paper or hang a picture of a plant
in bloom.

oups.com...

Old 08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Philip Lewis

Janet Baraclough writes:
Can anyone recommend a plant that would survive or even thrive with
just artificial light?

You're not going to leave the bathroom light on all the time, surely?

The OP could put a specialty light on a timer to give an 8-10 Hour
photo period... but with the "not much experience with plants"
comment, I think i'm with the folks who recommend plastic. (silk
is harder to wash and with high humidity, I expect the plants
will need cleaning once a month.)

--
be safe.
flip

Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 PM
paghat

In article , Ornata
wrote:

dps Wrote:
Mushrooms do fairly well.
Cereus-validus..... wrote:-
Don't even think about growing plants in the dark.
A bathroom is a bathroom and it can't possible look forlorn nor show
any
other emotion.
If you really must, get flowered wall paper or hang a picture of a
plant in
bloom.

"ollysugar" wrote in message
oups.com...
-
[...]

The point about humidity is well made. Most people who have bad luck with
houseplants & feel like no matter how they try they have a "black thumb,"
the culprit is actually the low humidity inside houses which suits hardly
anything but succulents. Plants in the bathroom would have a much easier
time of it.

Grow-lights might be harsh & weird for human comfort, and full-spectrum
lighting might be given a try because it can be comfy for plants & people
alike, though it needs to be either a larger tube OR left on longer to
equal the same amount of UV as a grow light.

I've thought of turning the rarely-used second bath tubs into a glassed-in
jungle for tropical plants & Jackson's chameleons -- only thought of it, I
never would.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 09-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Timothy

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 05:19:25 -0800, ollysugar wrote:

My new home has a bathroom with no daylight at all, and I have very little
experience with house plants.
Can anyone recommend a plant that would survive or even thrive with just
artificial light? And would I need to get a special light? HELP!, my
bathroom looks really forlorn with no (other) life in it.

I would suggest that you look into a solar tube.
http://www.solatube.com/residential.php

These generally cost under 500.00 to buy and install. This will add nice
value to your home, add natural light to your bathroom and allow you to
have a house plant or two.. ;0)

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 09-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Toni

"Ornata" wrote in message
Ignore these people. Yes, you can grow plants without natural light
(just think of commercial cannabis growers). Bathrooms usually have
higher humidity than other rooms in the house and most houseplants will
flourish . Yes, you need special lights (ordinary lightbulbs offer too
much heat and not enough light for plants). Use a fluorescent strip or
bulb (I don't know about the wattage to use/distance it has to be from
the plants, but I'm sure you can find this out elsewhere on the
web/this forum). Put it on a timer so the plants get light for set
number of hours. The problem is that the fluorescent light might not
create a very welcoming ambiance in your bathroom, but who cares, when
you'll have beautiful plants to look at?

I have seen marketed various plant lights designed for just one plant-
setting up quite a nice focal point.
I found one on Ebay http://tinyurl.com/6o6rc .

Other links of interest on this topic:
http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...ort/g06515.htm
http://www.littmanbros.com/pd_kichler_lighting.cfm
http://www.solaroasis.com/grow_products.htm

--
Toni Carroll
South Florida USA

Old 09-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Toni

"Toni" wrote in message

I have seen marketed various plant lights designed for just one plant-
setting up quite a nice focal point.
I found one on Ebay http://tinyurl.com/6o6rc .

If tinyurl doesn't work try

Toni Carroll
South Florida USA
Zone 10

Old 09-03-2005, 12:23 PM
dps

IME if you're depending on artificial light in an occupied room you want
to use plants that have low light requirements. Yes, you can provide
enough light for most plants artificially, but it may be uncomfortable
to spend any amount of time in the same room. Most "house plants" are
comfortable with fairly low light levels.

Humidity gets high occasionally in a bathroom, but most people don't use
the shower (the main cause of humidity there) more than once a day. The
rest of the time the humidity is pretty close to the rest of the house
unless you leave the door completely closed. Even then, the room is not
airtight (presumably), so the humidity will decrease when the room is
not in use.

Providing additional humidity in the house is really a good idea during
the winter, and not just for the plants. Heating the house can really
drive down the humidity to the point where it affects human health
and/or comfort.

If you used sliding glass doors, maybe you could install a shower head
and put the plants at the far end of the tub. How many people can take a
shower in a jungle? I assume the chameleons would stay around the plants
so you wouldn't be stepping on them?

Old 09-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Hal

On 8 Mar 2005 05:19:25 -0800, "ollysugar" wrote:

My new home has a bathroom with no daylight at all, and I have very
little experience with house plants.
Can anyone recommend a plant that would survive or even thrive with
just artificial light? And would I need to get a special light? HELP!,
my bathroom looks really forlorn with no (other) life in it.

Part of an article I clipped from a local paper about house plants
that need less light.
Aglaonema, Dracaena, Nephthytis, Pothos, Snake Plant, Spathiphyllum.

They need some light and I hope you success in working that out. You
might try alternating plants with better lighting locations as well as
adding a grow light for the plant you choose.

Regards,

Hal
Old 09-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Would not recommend any of those plants for no light and high humidity
conditions. Even they will soon etiolate and die if they don't rot and stink
first!!!!

Old 09-03-2005, 05:43 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus....." wrote:

Would not recommend any of those plants for no light and high humidity
conditions. Even they will soon etiolate and die if they don't rot and stink
first!!!!

I've grown Dracaena deremensis 'Janet Craig Compacta' in salamander tanks
for thirty years. The humidity is always 100% & the roots are always
submerged & they LOVE it. I started with one plant way-back-when & have
never had to buy another, as it spreads like mad in wet gravel & no
drainage at all, with no actual soil, & fertilized by nothing but
salamander poo (with a bacter-based filter system that cycles water
through the gravel, so that the broken-down salamander poo makes great
plant food). The only problem is having to cut them back every few months
they do so well, &amp when they are about five years old the plants are so
thick & woody they're difficult to trim back effectively for a small
vivarium, so have to be replaced by their own clipped tips, which root
with 100% reliability.

-paghat the ratgirl

Old 09-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Cereus-validus.....

That's too bad. That plant name is completely invalid. (Not to mention
unnecessarily verbose!!!!)

Its correct name is Dracaena fragrans 'Compacta'.

Growing stunted in a salamander tank is hardly a plant "loving it". It
should grow up into a large shrub not spread.

"paghat" wrote in message
news